iTunes pinching files

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
Malcolm88

iTunes pinching files

Post by Malcolm88 »

Hi Dave

I've started suffering from an odd problem.

I keep my main system on my iMac and edit it from there, then I copy the whole kJams folder over to my MacBook Air and merge it.

I have a portable hard drive that has about 20,000 songs on it and when I load up a new one, I copy the song over into the kJams file partly as it is an NTFS drive, but mostly so I can keep the files in the kJams library directly.

Just recently, while going through the iMac, I have tried to play a song and the error message comes up, "Could not find the song, do you want to find it yourself".

I did look at your video for this, but it referred to an older version of kJams, so did not help.

I then used Spotlight to locate the file and the mp3 file had been placed in the iTunes library, although the cdg file still sits in the kJams folder where it was originally placed.

This seems to have happened to whole bunch of tracks, but I cannot see how or why the Mac would have done this.

Now it would appear as if I have to locate the missing mp3s in the iTunes folder one by one to cut and paste them back to where they belong.

So my questions are:

1. have you any idea why this is happening?
2. is there a way to prevent it from happening?
3. is there a shortcut to getting the songs back in a batch?
4. is what I have described (cutting and pasting the files) the best work around?

All that aside, I love the system and enjoy using it.

Kind regards

Malcolm

dave
Site Admin

Re: iTunes pinching files

Post by dave »

1: i have no idea why or even how this could possibly happen
2: no idea
3: if kJams could find the song to move it back, then it could also play the song. so, no.
4: unfortunately, yes

Malcolm88

Post by Malcolm88 »

Not precisely the answer I was looking for.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

if you could find the steps needed to reproduce the problem, i may be able to find a fix for it.

more info on how to repro a bug

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

It sounds like at some point you dragged your kJams folder into iTunes, and then had it delete duplicates.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:o