python auto crossfade

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
kmachman

python auto crossfade

Post by kmachman »

It must be the new update doing this… When i use the auto crossfade feature it will Crossfade “In” the kjams… as well as “Out”
“Out” is good but fading “In" is not preferable…

There also seems to be two autocross fades… On says auto_cross_ fade.py and the other says auto_cross_fader.py

is this a glitch?

Version 2.0 D72

dave
Site Admin

Re: python auto crossfade

Post by dave »

you can edit the script so it doesn't fade in if you like, that's the beauty of scripting, you can change it yourself!

note: fade in is not new, it has always done that.

and OMG ignore the "crossfader" one, the one with the "R" on the end. USE the "crossfade" one.
in the next release this will be fixed.

kmachman

Post by kmachman »

Thanks Dave.

I have never noticed it fading (swelling) into the kjams song before… Only fading out and fading into the iTunes song…

I took a look at the script by holding the alt/option key while pressing the script from the menu… I am not very savvy when it comes to scripts…

Can you tell me what i need to do to make it not swell into the kjams song? To start a kjams song with full volume, then fade out the kjams song while fading into iTunes at the end of a kjams song? I don’t mind the iTunes song fading out while starting the kjams song at full volume. I just don’t like kjams swelling in with its next song.

Thanks Dave… :)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I have never noticed it fading into the kjams song before
well, it's always faded. note i'm not sure what the "crossfader" did, that was never supposed to be used. maybe it didn't fade in?
Can you tell me what i need to do to make it not fade into the kjams song
you could set "kJFadeStep = 100" in the "if playMode == kjams.enum_play_modes().kPlayModeType_PLAYING" block

note that fade at the end is currently up to the KJ: press stop in kJams to have it fade out and iTunes fade up. if you let the song play through to the end, it will just end normally without involving iTunes.

kmachman

Post by kmachman »

I am not sure if we are on the same page here…

I just want to get rid of kjams slowly bringing up the volume when starting another song. Fading at the end is good along with fade mixing in iTunes. But when going to the next song I would like kJams to not slowly bring up the volume(kJams full volume when starting a song) but still fade the iTunes.

Is this possible to customize the fade like that?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

that's exactly what my code suggestion does.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I wrote things in the Applescript version of the script (that the Python version is based on) to be as flexible as possible. The easiest way to get rid of the kJams fade in is just to eliminate all the kJams control code in the first part of the script that sets Volume in kJams. In the AppleScript, that is the following line:

Code: Select all

tell application "kJams Pro" to set volume kSpeakers level kJamsVolume
Haven't looked at the Python code in a while, but pretty sure it is similar.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

it's not quite similar. the OP wants kjams to get full volume immedately, while STILL fading iTunes down. that's what my suggestion does.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Assuming similar algorithm, though, the issue with just adjusting the kJFadeStep variable is that if the volume of kJams is not set to max, it will suddenly jump there, instead of remaining at whatever level the user originally set. It is also going to jump initially to the minVolume setting (since it is still expecting it is setting up a fade in then back up to the full volume setting, all while kJams is playing!

A simpler "solution", of course, is just to set "Skip Silence at Start of Song" in preferences to false. Then it will just fade in silence!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

no, the new one won't go over the "max" of what the user set it to.

i do not think "fading in the silence" is that he wants.

kmachman

Post by kmachman »

YES!!!! Dave you were right! For some reason it did not take the first time i tried.. must have forgot to save..

Setting the fade step =100 worked like charm.

Now i can skip the silence at start of song and the songs that start right away are not quiet when they should be singing. It just makes more sense to me to not fade the song in… :)

Thanks so much!!!

is this something i will have to change each and every time i update? or will it remain as I have left it?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

if you followed these directions, you can keep your changes.