Firewall failing to remember to allow kJams

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
DeusExMachina

Firewall failing to remember to allow kJams

Post by DeusExMachina »

I have been continually forced to reauthorize kJams to have network access every time I relaunch. This was especially an issue on crashes, as it adds precious seconds to the time needed to get back up and running, as well as requiring you to monitor the relaunch, preventing you from going about other tasks.

I tried deleting plists, removing all apps and recreating allow lists, etc., to no avail.

Here is what finally solved the issue:
I went in to Security and Privacy Preference and removed kJams from the allow list
I then added the Unix executables (kJams, InstalTool, HleperTool) inside the kJams app bundle.

Not sure why this allows the certs to be seen by the firewall (thus allowing it to remember the settings) but thought this might be something you could address on your end.

DeusExMachina

Re: Firewall failing to remember to allow kJams

Post by DeusExMachina »

Okay, nix that, still not working. The above only works for a single login session or (some such).

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I am now leaning toward the theory that it is install-specific. So when a new version of kJams overwrites the previous in the Applications folder, the firewall blocks it again.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

but if you just auth, then quit kjams, then run again, does it ask to auth AGAIN?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Yes, it did just ask again, every time I relaunched. But stopped doing that after I added the Unix executables to the firewall allow list.
kJams firewall.png
Hmm, but now even dragging the executables is not working :(

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

okay i tried it. tl;dr: works for me

the kJams app is correctly signed for Yosemite, even the Rogues are signed. so, for me, and apparently for people with "normal" computers, it passes the firewall test (ie: even with NO entry in the firewall prefs panel for kJams, kJams will run, and use the network, without having to manually authorize).

so, that means it's something strange about your computer. no idea. sorry, i really tried to repro the problem :(

ps: a "tiff" file? :o really? who uses "tiff"? ;) (hint: not the kJams Forums inline pic display code) :mrgreen:

Update: okay well upon trying again, it DOES ask to verify the app, even a signed app, but it only asks ONCE. after that, on subsequent launches of the same app, it does not ask to verify again. and what it adds to the exception list is "/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.metamuse.kjams"

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Weird. But anyway, it worked now for me too, once I added com.metamuse.kjams to the exceptions list.
You have to admit that is a bit… nonintuitive! :)

P.S. as for the TIFF, it is just the standard format used by the screen grab tool?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

it's strange that your OS didn't just automatically add "com.metamuse.kjams" for you (like mine did) when you authorize?

re: tiff: you mean you don't use "cmd-shift-4" ?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

No, I use the screen capture plugin in Quicksilver that uses the built in Grab.app

And the authorization issue existed on two machines and has now been solved on both by manually adding that file to the exclusion list.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

heh, okay. well, convert to PNG before posting here, so you can inline it :)