Occasional pause

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
simpmech

Re: Occasional pause

Post by simpmech »

Dave when I am running Kjams I am using the internal sound card. I do have an external I can use but never have in the past as I route it to my Allen & Heath board (USB) and it sounds pretty good like that

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

well, try the other things suggested on this thread and let us know what you find

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Well guys -- I'm not jumping to conclusions as yet, however, last night was a 3 hour gig, all set up as i would normally do. BUT..... last night i didn't run SMC fan control. Yes, my laptop of the top left corner felt like the centre of the sun, BUT... i had no screen flash and no loss of audio. it was only a short gig last night but as I'm working at home this week i will try hammering my system again for longer periods and see if it has solved the issue. Fingers crossed

Thanks

Dave

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

did you also use the latest rogue, which has "app nap" turned off?

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

yes Dave -- i did use the rogue. i also made sure that app nap was turned off anyway as well

thanks

Dave

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

okay, then we have no way of knowing if it worked because of "app nap" or the SMC fan thing.

but i'm still glad it's working now

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

So, next time you hammer at it, use the prior version without App Nap being turned off in kJams, leave it ON in the Get Info, and leave smcFanControl off, and see if the issue returns. I will go ahead and predict that it will, since I really don't think AppNap is the culprit. kJams just would not be sending the necessary signals to to the OS to trigger napping AFAICT.
If that is the case, and if simpmech reports back with similar findings, I think it will be safe to call it for a bug in the interactions with smcFanControl.
Additional information can also be found from Activity Monitor and Console.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

what he said

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

OK, last night, i ran version 1.0.1b67 without the smc fan control running, and prior to app nap disable --- it froze 3 times on me for less than a second. I will try next weekend running this version with app nap disabled

Dave

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Not sure stalling for under a second is really "freezing", but regardless, that behavior can happen for any number of reasons, from memory pressure to task switching, etc., and is pretty normal.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

interesting! be sure to turn ON the SMC fan control thing for the next test! (and please use the very latest version of kJams), and do NOT turn on "Prevent App Nap" in the get info, because in the current app it should be prevented no matter what!

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Will do guys, got a short gig tomorrow, will try it then.

Thanks again

Dave

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

UPDATE -- ok guys i have had a couple of gigs testing and its not good news. i reverted to an old version (beginning of January) where app nap wasn't automatic. i made sure Fan control wasn't running. App nap left on -- i got freezing 3 times in a 3 hour gig. App nap manually switched off, i got 4 freezes in a 2 hour gig. Updated to the latest version, and again, fan control switched off. App nap left at default to allow the program to handle it, i got 3 freezes in a 2 hour gig, manually turned app nap off, got 3 times freeze in a 3.5 hour gig. Last night, i did manage to catch it as it all happened on screen -- the audio froze for around 2 seconds, meanwhile the lyrics on the screen continued to run, when the audio returned where it had left off, the lyrics jumped back to the freeze point to stay in sync.

Dave

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

this indicates that SOMETHING is starving your CPU. so we know it's not fan control, and the problem clearly is NOT "app nap" either.
so it's some other process on your computer that is starving your CPU.

did you try setting aside more RAM for your audio ring buffer? ( "Half Ring buffer size (in megabytes)" )

if you have and that doesn't help, then there is definitely some other process eating your CPU time, and it's not a kJams bug.

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Its a totally clean install of yosemite. i only have kjams, logic pro x and my x32 desk control software on it. when i run Kjams, i run it by itself and nothing else, and always clean start my machine before each gig. i will try increasing the ring buffer again this weekend to see what happens

Thanks again for the help

Dave