Occasional pause

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
DeusExMachina

Re: Occasional pause

Post by DeusExMachina »

Also, run etrecheck and post the results here.

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Just had a thought -- if it was something starving the cpu, then surely the video would have stopped as well -- it continued and the jumped back to sync with the audio?

Dave

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Will do Deus -- many thanks

Dave

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

still you should not HAVE to increase the ring buffer. there is still something starving your CPU
i've heard there ARE OS level audio problems in Mavericks.

http://www.imore.com/losing-audio-os-x- ... o-about-it

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/10/o ... es-advice/

so, perhaps updating to Yosemite might help

also, try resetting the p-ram

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Dave:
FTR, the issue described in the imore link is the dreaded loss of all audio output bug I discussed with you, and mentioned previously in the thread. Unfortunately, it also persisted into Yosemite.
But that issue causes loss of ALL audio, which does not return until a hard reset, so I don't think that is the issue here. Thankfully, that bug seems to have been stomped out as of 10.10.1.
DaveT: It might also be useful for you to run Activity Monitor while running kJams, and to watch the CPU usage while the audio cuts out. See if there is a concurrent spike. Also, order the processes by %CPU to see what might be eating your professor cycles.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Thanks guys

Dave -- I'm on yosemite. it was a full clean install

thanks

Dave T

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

well, let us know what you find with Activity monitor. I have not heard of others having this same issue.

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

May be a little change this weekend to see if it fixes the problems as well. i have just ordered up an SSD drive for the operating system (250gb) and I'm gonna then take my optical drive out and replace it with an internal enclosure to hold my drive with all my karaoke on it. This way i eliminate the usb port for my external drive, and keep everything "in house" for one to a better word. The SSD i will pick up this afternoon, and the internal chassis will arrive on Friday, ready for the Friday night gig :)

Wish me luck lol

Dave T

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Also toying with the idea of a complete reinstall of yosemite etc, however I'm not sure i will have the time for my library to copy over in time for the friday night gig. Would it be possible for me to install the new SSD, clean install of yosemite and KJams, and then copy my database from my old install so i dont need to catalogue all my files again? i can't see me getting the chance to also install the new internal hard drive thats replacing the optical before the weekends gigs, so will probably still run with it on USB until next week

Thanks

Dave

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yes you can clone a library, just be sure to get all the settings
if you move the music away from where kJams wants to find them, you'll have to use the symbolic link trick. and yes it IS possible to use that trick to move from one volume to another, let me know if you need help with that.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

An even simpler way, of course, is just to name the internal the same name as the external
You can bypass all of that by just installing the drive from the external enclosure into the chassis. Then you don't even have to copy any files.
Two minutes. Done.

(Also, as a time saver, keep the Yosemite installer file and make an installer flash drive, so you don't have to keep downloading it. Move it from where it automatically downloads (/Applications) to somewhere else, so the installer doesn't find it and automatically delete it.)
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yeah, that. by the way he means "secondary internal drive", not "startup internal drive"

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Hi guys -- yeah, i already had a usb stick with yosemite set for install from it. and yes, i did rename the drive to the same as the one i use. i run kjams for about 4 hours last night and didn't get any problems so far. big test will be tomorrow night and saturday when it goes live :)

thanks again for all the help

Dave

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

k, keep us posted!

simpmech

Post by simpmech »

sorry I havent been posting my findings here, crazy busy with two jobs. After getting fed up with the issue, even UN-inslalling FMC fan control and all other unnecessary programs/apps etc and the update for Yosemite I still get the pause. However, it is MUCH less frequent now. I have ran numerous shows since all of this has started and had two this week and one tonight yet. Last nights show it paused 4 times over 5 hours. No rhyme or reason to it, just random. But again, that's a significant improvement from this initial posting. So all that has changed is the Kjams update, the Yosemite update and getting rid of the smc fan control.