Occasional pause

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
simpmech

Occasional pause

Post by simpmech »

Wondered if anyone is getting this. After downloading Yosemite OS when running kjams I will occasionally get a bump in the road. The song will stop playing, just for a split second and continue on. Not always, not every song. But often enough people are complaining

dave
Site Admin

Re: Occasional pause

Post by dave »

i'm not seeing it myself. anyone else?

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

YES YES and Yes -- its giving me a headache. In desperation, i wiped all my system and reinstalled yosemite and nothing else but KJams. Everything looked great until about 25 songs in and it started again. random 1 second ish pauses in random songs at random times. it seems the buffer display for the song playing runs out causing the song to pause until it catches up again. Is there any way to increase that buffer as the song plays (you know the bar in the status window that goes along like a caterpillar as the song plays?). I have disabled all hard drive sleep modes etc and it hasn't helped. wishing i hadn't wiped my hard drive now as i had a lot of great stuff on there and programs installed that is gonna take me weeks to re install. i suppose a clean out every now and again is good lol. I have had to go back to my windows pcdj at the moment for live cabaret shows (we use kjams with karaoke files for cabaret backing tracks), as we can't keep having the random pauses during a show. At first i thought it was maybe a glitch because i had upgraded to yosemite, but a clean install of yosemite with nothing but KJams still produces the same results. 2011 macbook pro with 8gig memory, 1 terra HD internal and 2 terra external. i have tried it with internal hard drive songs and get the same result.

Dave T

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

should also say, i also tried ticking the unpack song before playing box with no success either

Dave

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

sounds like an OS bug. did you update all the way to 10.10.1? i'll see if i can increase the size of the caterpillar.

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

LOL -- bigger caterpillar lol. Yeah im up to the latest update Dave. not saying it is definitely the problem, but the one time i did catch it freezing the pink caterpillar was about 1 line wide and then suddenly jumped back to normal. may have been something else causing everything else to freeze, although from what i recall, when the song came back, it came back to where it should have been and not where it stopped. i will run it again on sunday to see if it repeats itself and if i can catch it :)

thanks

Dave T

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

just published a NEW new update, please update again.
then you can edit your prefs file and set the caterpillar ("Half Ring buffer size (in megabytes)") to 5 mb.
more info on that here:

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Brilliant Dave -- thanks very much. downloading just now and will use it live on Sunday to see if were fixed.

Amazing support

Thanks again

Dave

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

The caterpillar is now a fully fledge Snake lol

D

simpmech

Post by simpmech »

Thanks for this! Going to do all of this also. Show Tuesday night

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

As I mentioned separately to Dave, there are a number of issues with how Yosemite handles sound. This is one of them, but a minor one (another being a complete inability to load the sound driver until a restart.).
For this particular issue, it might help to reset PRAM and NVRAM on reboot.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Thanks Dave === this seems to have worked to some extent. Played 3 gigs now with it, one of which was constant 4 hours going straight from one song to the next, and the only thing i noticed was rather than a complete loss of sound for the split second but more of a pause (like holding onto a note). It lasted a fraction of a second and only happened twice that i heard off, and was not enough to disturb my singer or put her off in the slightest as it was so short an event, in fact she said she didn't even notice it when i pointed it out. So all looking good mate.

Last night, i pushed my macbook to its limits by running Kjams at the same time as i recorded 8 channels of live mics and music all at the one time into Logic (my macbook is connected to an X32 mixer using firewire to both transmit audio and receive for recording, direct to and from the desk. With this load on it, i expected there to be a few freezes or stutters, the only thing that caused me any issue was that the delay in the singer rotation list clearing the screen before the lyrics started (sometimes 15 secs delay), but considering how hard i was pushing the system, im not bothered about that at all, and was over the moon how everything performed, without so much as a freeze or pause with the music :) :) :) :)

Many Thanks for your help once again

Dave

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

A Picture of my Setup

Dont know if everyone will be able to see this picture -- typical setup for me, with a 30mts SVGA cable alongside my stage snake going to the monitor screen on stage :)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Hey great!
note you can manually take down the "Who's up next" rotation ShowScreen via command-9