Occasional pause

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
DaveT

Re: Occasional pause

Post by DaveT »

Thanks Dave -- doesn't matter if there is the "next singer" or a picture screen up, they take a while to clear and then show the lyrics (which are usually quite a bit in before clearing), but it doesn't matter to me as my singer knows her word anyways. for karaoke gigs, i wouldn't be hammering my macbook with recording as well ,so isn't an issue, but good keyboard shortcut to know anyways lol

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Dave

p.s. one of these days someone on the forum is going to be the last reply on a message other than yourself lol, amazing support from yourself :)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:D
one of these days someone on the forum is going to be the last reply on a message other than yourself
it will never happen as long as i'm in charge here :)

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

:)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8) :shock:

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

The occasional pause is back :(

However, after it happened i restarted and all was fine for the rest of the gig. Next night, it started the random pauses again, but this time i didn't restart -- i noticed that time machine reported in the background that back up had failed (obviously as i use a network drive that wouldn't have been available). i had my wireless network switched off at the time. i took the next step of switching my time machine backups to off, and the pause did not return at all the full night, furthermore, even without a restart, the pause did not return the following nights gig either. im now of the opinion that time machine may be the issue. i will keep monitoring for the next few gigs to see if it has cleared my issue

thanks

Dave

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

that makes sense. so it paused EVEN THOUGH you had set the ring buffer size to huge?

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Yes Dave thats correct, even with the ring buffer increased, it still froze up, funny thing is, the lyrics kept on scrolling, then the music caught up with it once it unfroze

Dave

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

wow, that should be impossible. very strange.

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Well, fingers crossed, stopping time machine "seems" to have cured my issues. funny thing is, i never had any issues in Mavericks with it, it all appeared since Yosemite. i will keep an eye on it over the next few weeks to see if all is well with it

Dave

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

maybe set your ring buffer size back to default

simpmech

Post by simpmech »

I am having it happen ALL the time now. People are starting to get annoyed at this point. Not sure what to do . It's definitely Yosemite, never had this with Mavericks

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yes, this is a yosemite problem. trouble is i have not been able to isolate it.

try this: get info on the kJams icon, and check "prevent app nap"

let me know if that fixes it!

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

This is possible when the CPU gets tasked beyond its normal levels and the sound driver in Yosemite seems to compensate by finding the point that the audio SHOULD be at (if the CPU hadn't stalled) and advancing it to the position it would thus be at. These system hiccups are not unique to Yosemite, but there are indications that it is worse on Yosemite, and that there are lingering issues with the new sound driver kext. This is invisible to apps, since the OS does not report the issue as a sync error.
This should NOT happen. But something is taxing the system and causing it to drop the ball. A good place to start, and get some sort of idea what is going on (and to see how your system differs from a clean install) is to download and run the free etrecheck and get a report on what is going on behind the scenes.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

and PLEASE let me know if just setting "prevent app nap" fixes it!!

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Dave:
FTR, I DON'T have app nap off for kJams on any machine, and don't have any problem. But that said, it is a common culprit in such things. Had fits trying to trouble shoot DMX lighting system failures after upgrading to Mavs, only to find after much trial and tribulation that the DMX controller software was napping after a few seconds, and the whole system was going into auto mode.
(But I'll bet that is not the issue here, since kJams seems to be active, and never reaches the threshold to be napped. I'm going to put my money on the buggy AppleHDA and IOAUdio kexts and some conflict.)