I/O error (bummers)

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
Bmurray

I/O error (bummers)

Post by Bmurray »

Howdy Dave,

I added several songs to my library that were referenced to a drive in another mac on my network.
The songs will load and play great =-) However, when I try to [Reinterpret names] I get the following error.

-- There was an error saving the file "MY_EXTERNAL_DRIVE": "ioErr, I/O error (bummers)"

Then the library shows the selected songs as if the [Reinterpret names] command worked. However, the next time kjams Pro launches the original data shows in the Library.

please advise.

Thanks,
Banister

dave
Site Admin

Re: I/O error (bummers)

Post by dave »

well, you need write permissions.
is the remote volume formatted HFS+?
is it shared via AFP?

generally i recommend AGAINST doing meta data editing over a network, you should do them locally.

Bmurray

Post by Bmurray »

The remote volume is - Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
I have granted read/write access to "everyone" on that drive.
Still no joy

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

missed one very important question

Bmurray

Post by Bmurray »

Oh yea, confirmed, I am using AFP to connect.

I was able to install kJams on the other computer, make all my meta data changes, and then delete and re-import all the referenced songs on the main computer. (The Pull meta-data feature, didn't work for me, had to delete and re-import.)

After going thru this experience, I can see why you would recommend against doing metadata edits over a network. :wink:

As a 'nice to have' feature, I think it would be cool if kJams could detect when a song is referenced and not local, and then disable all the meta-data edit features. :D

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

huh. the thing is it *should* work. could be a glitchy router?

anyway, glad it's all working now.