Songs missing after force quit

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
Dwartz

Songs missing after force quit

Post by Dwartz »

Last night I updated to 1.01.b7, then added some songs which were already zipped. After the songs were added, I used the "re-interpret names" function to fix ID tags. After that, kJams hung during a "push" sequence. I left it for about 10 minutes and finally force quit. After re-opening kJams, it seems that about half the songs are missing - all artists about midway through the L's are missing. The songs are still in the kJams music folder (external drive). Interestingly enough, the songs' ID number seem different now - originally I had imported them by manufacturer, and now they seem to be indexed by artist.

I can add the songs back in, but how can I be positive I've got them all, especially ones in the "imports" folder I have before you incorporated the "move" function in the last few months? Should I start from scratch?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Songs missing after force quit

Post by dave »

yeah, kjams should never ever hang during the meta push, that's a data-critical operation and i've worked hard to get all the bugs out.

that means that if it DOES crash / hang during that operation, you can lose data, or mess up the library :(

the best way to be really sure you've got everything is to revert to a backup from before you started that operation, and start it again. barring that, rebuilding your library from scratch would also guarantee you've got everything, but you lose all your playlists and singers if you do that

sorry it's not better news.

Dwartz

Post by Dwartz »

Pooey. And I'd been very good about having a mirror image backup, until about a month ago when my main drive crashed and had to switch to the backup (which worked flawlessly, btw). But now I don't have a backup drive. My bad.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

What do you mean by "crashed"? If it is not a control arm failure, the data on the original drive may well be recoverable.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Bueller?

Dwartz

Post by Dwartz »

Sorry, Dave! Been overwhelmed by moving and work.

The music is unharmed. kJams crashed. I'm doing a rebuild now. I just need to see if the older songs imported before the "move" feature was added will show up. If not, even better, I'll just re-add and move.

Dwartz

Post by Dwartz »

<deleted, I'm a dumbass>

After the rebuild, can I then add the songs that were added before the "move" function was instituted, to consolidate the library? I assume there's no lasting references to those songs now that the rebuild is complete.

BTW, what does "GS: -0.50" mean at the bottom of the window where the number of songs and time displays?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yes, you can. i recommend you use "reference"
then get perfect meta data:
http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Perfect_Metadata

then consolidate:
https://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Consolidating

GS is "Global Slipping", "-0.50" means your graphics are 1/2 second behind the audio
http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Slipping

Dwartz

Post by Dwartz »

Other than the dozen or so songs I was adding when the hang occurred, I had nearly perfect metadata before the problem arose. So, I ignored your advice and dragged and moved. :) Everything looks good. All is well with the world.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

when you ignore my advice, i may not be able to help you with tech support. just sayin' :) glad it's working tho.

Dwartz

Post by Dwartz »

I'm aware that I was taking a chance. But I've read most of your tutorials over and over, and I was fairly sure I knew what chance I was taking. I won't do it again, Dad.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

very good, no harm no foul :D