web server crash

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
simpmech

web server crash

Post by simpmech »

I wish I could have sent the crash report, but alas, that did not happen. I will describe what happened and what I think caused it. 80% of the singers had the phone/tablet etc. log in and sign up down quite well. Logging back in and then adding more songs etc. like it was designed to do. Problem I experienced, twice, was a kjams crash. During the show while singers were up, it crashed. Now what I believe caused the crash were people not simply logging back in, but actually trying to create their user names AGAIN and being told that name already exist. I would get Mark, Mark 1, Mark 2 etc. then.....fail. somehow them forcing the same name, password or something along those lines caused the crash. when I turned off the web server feature so no one could log in, I never had the issue. I know you want the crash report as I wanted you to have it, but sorry. It no longer exist. If you can not do anything without it, I will attempt it again next Wednesday and then send it out. Thanks :wink:

dave
Site Admin

Re: web server crash

Post by dave »

there is an open bug on the server crash, and i'm actively working on it

simpmech

Post by simpmech »

Just got home from a gig, tonight was odd. Kjams crashed several times during my show, it has never done this like tonight. (the original post was for the web feature which I had disabled tonight). It started when we hit the history button of a singer while someone was up singing (to enter a song from their list). This happened twice, so we thought initially it had something to do with that. After we quit going into history it was happening randomly, even when nothing was going on other than singing. Then, even between singers. It never gave me a crash report to send, ugh....The only thing I could pull from my computer was this "Connection Invalid #609"
I dunno.
I must point out that I had not downloaded the new release b4 I left the house for the gig. I have now done that.
Thanks!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

try again with latest version, we'll go from there! we'll get to the bottom of it!

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

simpmech:

I have been battling this demon now for MANY many months. It is nice to know, finally, that I am not alone in my struggles with this beast!
What seems to be the issue is a bug in the handling of the rotation list when a change is made over the server.
In an attempt to allay your frustrations and anxieties:
• Do not fret about your lost crash reports, I now have dozens in, so there is plenty of data. That said, make sure to submit any future ones, of course!
• Here is what seems to be the work around, for now: simply keep off the Rotation and kJR. Avoid it like the plague. When a song ends, right arrow to the next singer, if possible. Make quick trips to the kJR between songs to do any singer re-orders you need to do. That way if you crash (you probably won't) no one even has to notice. Edit the Rotation as needed and then manually, if you chose, put up the Rotation screen. Banter with audience while you do any other tasks you need, then switch to the playlist of a singer who is NOT currently at your venue. Make a dummy Singer if that helps. Then manually toggle Rotation screen (to avoid the Rotation Screen stuck bug) and when it starts to fade, hit play or the spacebar.
As long as you stay out of either of the Rotation playlists, you should not crash due to the server bug, until such time as it is slain for good.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

and i'm very sorry about this, i really REALLY am trying to get this bug. but it's like a ninja bug, so far i've not been able to catch it in the act. if anyone can possibly create a set of steps that will always produce the bug, i'd be super d000per grateful, as would all those who are crashing on it.