Spacebar not functioning like before

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
rmanke

Spacebar not functioning like before

Post by rmanke »

This is more an annoyance than a bug... I do like the new ability to auto-search the library, and for it to retain the last search - that's awesome, and something I've hoped for for a long time.

That being said:

In the latest release (with the auto-search functions) if you are typing in the search field of the library, and then want to start the next song if you press the space bar it enters it into the search field rather than starting or pausing the playback for the singer.

I realize this is a difficult thing to address because we need to be able to enter spaces into a search.

Could I suggest the following?

1) Have another button as well for starting or stopping playback (something rarely used like the ellipse) and ignore it in the search field.
2) Make sure the focus is taken off of the search field if the user clicks another playlist or clicks or drags a song out of the current window.

Thanks for this feature Dave. I may have to adjust my habits a bit to always press return when I am done searching, but sometimes a person gets interrupted and forgets they are still typing in the search field, and wants to quickly pause or start the song playing.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Spacebar not functioning like before

Post by dave »

I'm quite sure you're mistaken about it not working like before. When you're editing any text, whether meta data in the browser, or typing in the search field, the space bar has *never* caused a play/pause. I just tested with an older version, and did not find this happening.
Have another button ... for starting or stopping playback ... and ignore it in the search field
i think it would be a mistake to ignore any character in the search field. what if you WANT to search for that character? what about just pressing the play button with the mouse?
Make sure the focus is taken off of the search field if the user clicks another playlist or clicks or drags a song out of the current window
umm, it is doing that. can you come up with a case where it is not?

rmanke

Post by rmanke »

Previously, people were used to pressing return at the end of a search, so it never happened by "accident". Now, with the search results appearing before you press return you naturally assume that your search is complete. Obviously, in previous versions the space bar entered the search field, but once you pressed return it no longer accepted the space character.

Pressing play with the mouse is an option, but it would actually require you to grab the mouse and navigate to the play button (MUCH more time than just pressing the space bar).

Am I the only one having issues with this? Maybe I just have to get used to the new functionality...

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yes, just press [return] when you're done typing, to exit out of search mode. (or tab). then space will work as you expect.

rmanke

Post by rmanke »

Ok.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)