Scrolling Problem

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
mrblue

Scrolling Problem

Post by mrblue »

When playing a song that contains video (i.e. songs ripped from VCD or DVD), I'm having a problem scrolling the library to find the next song to put in the playlist. The scrolling is very slow and sometimes it completely locks the video screen or shuts down completely. What is causing this? Is there a way to get around this problem?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Scrolling Problem

Post by dave »

mac or windows?
how much RAM?
what is your CPU speed? how many CPUs?

mrblue

Post by mrblue »

Windows, 4gb memory, 64-bit operating system, dual core processor. The processor is AMD Athlon II X2 M300. Does this help?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

hmm, okay. yeah, well, there's quite a bit of optimizing to do on windows, i'm aware of this and will be working on it soon. (the mac has been much more optimized, i only recently got the windows version going, so it hasn't had as much time for polish)

my plan is to make it every bit as fast and smooth as the mac version. here's my list:
http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Windows

sorry about that, it WILL be fixed eventually. i'm happy to refund your money if this sucks too much for you, if you don't have a mac you can switch to.

mrblue

Post by mrblue »

I would like to keep it if eventually means soon.

Isn't there a lot more Windows users compared to Mac users? Wouldn't you sell more if you get the Windows version up to speed. I know a couple of Windows users who are interested but want to see it work like it is supposed to before they buy. In fact, the scrolling problem happened at the home of one of them when I was showing them what KJAMS can do. Unfortunately, when a song was playing, no one could pick the next song because it would slow down the song or lock the screen. You need to wait until the song is over before picking the next song. This defeat the whole purpose of having the software since I could do that without the software by just using Windows Media Player.

By the way, the link you provided said to install LAME. I didn't do that when I downloaded the software and I was able to rip the CD-Gs. Do I need to install LAME?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Isn't there a lot more Windows users compared to Mac users?
yes, but the market is pretty well flooded with karaoke software on windows already, so i'm very late to a well established party.
Wouldn't you sell more if you get the Windows version up to speed
that's the bet that I'm making, yes. Once it's all polished and awesome like the mac version, AND word gets out that it kicks ass, yes i suspect people will start switching, provided the other vendors don't suddenly become totally awesome too.

generally, at this point, kjams works pretty well for Audio+G media on a reasonably newer machine. but i agree that's not "good enough" to win converts, in my book it must "work totally awesome" for all media types, not just pretty well for one.

you only need to install LAME if you want to rip to MP3. if you're fine ripping to QuickTime mov or m4a, then you only need to install QuickTime (which is already required)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

this just in (from my brain), be sure to turn OFF "high quality upscaling" in the general prefs.