Problem with duration

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
mrblue

Problem with duration

Post by mrblue »

A few of the songs I ripped from CDGs are now showing extremely long durations. When I played one of them through the end of the song, it continued going in silent mode for a while. For example, the song I played, has a normal duration of 3.01 but is showing in KJAMS as 18.47. What happened? How can I fix this?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Problem with duration

Post by dave »

run kjams
go to prefs->audio
clear the cache
hit ok
now play the song
is it still strange duration?

if so, zip and send me that song

mrblue

Post by mrblue »

Clearing the cache didn't help. If I right click on the song and chose Pull Meta Data, the song restores to the correct length. However, if I choose to play it again, the song reverts back to the long duration. The short and long durations are always the same.

The problem is tied to a few CD-Gs I ripped using KJAMS. So, where do I find the song so I can send it to you? Is it under Kjams/Kjams Music on my hard drive?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

right click the song and go "reveal in finder", send me the zip files, NOT the pcm+cdg files

mrblue

Post by mrblue »

Sent you the zip file via email.

I noticed when I browsed the Kjams Music folder that there were two Cat Stevens folders. One was misspelled. They were named Cat Setevens and Cat Stevens. Don't know if this is causing the problem. What can I do to fix this? Can I move the files to the correct folder and relink the song?

Also, can I clear/delete the albums that have the duration problem and start over? I'm thinking that if I delete the album and rip them again and then add them to the library that the problem may go away.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

misspellings is NOT the cause of the problem.

yes you can move them as long as you re-link them after.

yes the problem MAY go away if you re-rip. note that ripping includes adding them to the library, so you don't "rip then add to library", you just "rip".

let me know if that works.

mrblue

Post by mrblue »

I thought that the problem was fixed after re-ripping but i was wrong. the songs with extended durations played normally immediately after re-ripping but the problem came back later on. i don't know what triggered it to come back. i wonder if it had anything to do with the cache. it came back after i played a few songs. the problem is isolated only to songs i ripped using kjams. it does not happen to the ones i ripped using handbrake.

also, i don't recall having the problem before i downloaded the new version of kjams. how can i go back to the prior version of the software? can i do this without having to re-add all of the songs i have added already to kjams?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yes it is the cache. So it's not the ripping, it's the encoding. And you're using LAME, right? the one from the kJams web site? does it happen for every song you rip from every disc? or is it just certain songs on certain discs?

to test it, rip a song, wait for the tasks to complete, then clear your cache, then play the song.

mrblue

Post by mrblue »

Yes, the Audio Encoder is set to LAME MP3. It happens only on certain songs on the disc.

I did the test as you requested. I selected one of the songs that has a problem. Right after ripping, I cleared the cache and the song shows a duration 3.43. When I play the song, the duration changes to 25.39 about 10 seconds into the song. I did this a couple of times and got the same results. So, it is repeatable.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

awesome
what is the full name of the disc, or better: give me a link to the disc on amazon
i'll buy the disc and find out what's up

mrblue

Post by mrblue »

I can give you a few examples of discs with issues:

Legends Series Volume 122 - John Lennon
http://www.amazon.com/John-Lennon-Song- ... 657&sr=8-1

Legends Series Volume 242 - Cat Stevens/Jackson Browne
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... vens&ajr=0

Legends Series Volume 037 - The Who
http://www.amazon.com/LEGENDS-Karaoke-C ... 593&sr=8-3

Sound Choice Spotlight Series 8683 (History of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (could not find this in Amazon but found link)
http://www.karaokecenter.com/SC86.html

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

great. i've bought the john lennon one, i'll get it next week and report back on my findings.

mrblue

Post by mrblue »

I'm curious to learn what you find out. I'm curious why only selected songs in each disc are impacted and always the same songs.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

me too! i'll post here when i find out what the deal is.

Update: I got the disc, Legends v.122, put it in, rip the first 2 songs, eject, clear the cache, play the songs, no problems. can you please confirm you get the same results?