.MOV performance

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
Bmurray

.MOV performance

Post by Bmurray »

I have an 11mb .MOV file that plays great in quicktime.
However, when played KJams Pro (1.0d52r08)...
-- the system pegs to 100% cpu usage,
-- Activity monitor shows KJams as "Not Responding",
-- Interacting with the user interface is non responsive,
-- the audio plays fine without skipping or interrupting for the entire song,
-- the video becomes progressively more and more lagged behind the audio.

After the audio of the song finishes, and the next (non .MOV) song starts, KJams starts to respond again as expected.

I will probably create an MP3 audio file from this .MOV file. And forget the video, and use iKaraoke to type in all the lyrics, and match it up the audio portion. I know that would get things working for me.

Is there anything I can do to get better .MOV performance?

Thanks

dave
Site Admin

Re: .MOV performance

Post by dave »

export it to m4v at 320 x 240
or 720 x 480 at most?
then re-import the smaller version.
i know i know, pretty lame.

i've investigated how to do "smooth as glass" full screen HD video with overlays, but haven't got around to coding it up yet, partially cuz i'm mostly targeting CD+G right now.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Another thing you might try is nice. (Stopping kJams from playing nice.)
Lauch activity monitor and find out the PID of kJams
Launch terminal, and type:
renice -20 <The PID you go from Activity Monitor>

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I tend to nice unessential apps to about 10, sometimes I'll nice QT to 0 if I need backdrops, and nice kJams to -20. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.
Which brings up another suggestion. If you haven't rebooted for a while, OSX has crappy VM management, and it will leave data in swap files in /var/vm basically forever, never releasing it back to gen pop. This is especially true if you run a WebKit browser, like Safari, Chrome, or Rockmelt, which has a bad memory leak, that Apple has not managed to fix in the years since it was released. So if you have a lot of swap files, everything slows down, especially kJams, as OSX pages memory in and out.
If you are having a problem with stuttering video in kJams, try rebooting. This will delete all the swap files, and reset virtual memory back to its virgin state.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:shock: