Crashes when importing SuperCDG discs

Feel free to post bug reports here. I need exact, detailed steps showing me how I can re-create the bug on my machine, so give as much info and detail as possible.
reddroki

Crashes when importing SuperCDG discs

Post by reddroki »

Hi Dave,

Please forgive my posting as I'm not good at expressing this kind of info being just kind-of computer literate.

I'm using a Macbook Pro 13.3"' 4GB purchased 9 days ago. It has nothing extra on it but Kjams. At first, KJams would crash if we edited the meta data on the SCDG before ripping, so we would edit after ripping. This worked better (less crashes) so I carried on for another 40 discs or so. We then read the post regarding duplicate song title/artist combinations from the same disc. I then audited the 40 discs to ensure the duplicates were deleted from the library and re-ripped from the SCDG. The last two days have been real slow going due to constant crashing. I'm concerned about my database integrity and other problems going forward as I have another 27 SCDG to go.

I would launch Kjams and insert the disc. I would select all of the songs and drag them to the library. Kjams would start to rip the disc and then stop about 1/4 of the way into the rip. It would appear to be finished but I would look in the library and find it had only entered about 1/4 of the songs I had selected. I would then eject the disc and re-enter it and then Kjams would crash.

I would then restart the Kjams program and try to read the disc again. It would get part way through the rip and then stop again. Sometimes it would partially read and then stop or (mostly) I would get the spinning ball and have to force quit the program and power off the computer because it was stuck trying to read the disc. I don't think it's the media as these are my original SCDG's (or the original burns) and have barely been used. After numerous attempts to rip these it would eventually read them but it was frustrating.

I have submitted a crash log from last week and I will submit the latest crash log shortly. Thank you for any assistance in this matter.
---
Host: Would you like to sing a song?
Customer: Oi! There's not enough liquor in this pub for that!
Host: Hmm. You or Us?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Crashes when importing SuperCDG discs

Post by dave »

please report bugs rather than trying to work around them!

what steps can i take to reproduce the bug? eg:

stick in a SCDG disc
--> see the icon in the sources list on the left
select the disc icon (if not already selected)
select any song in the list on the right
get info
change the name in any way
press ok
--> crash

does that create the bug?? please let me know. if not, what DOES create the bug?

i'm not going to get into anything else on this thread, this is a bug report, not a Q&A thing, so i've moved it into the proper forum.

please remember that if you are having a persistent crash to just email me directly. sending the crash report only puts it into the bug folder, i usually don't see them 'till i do a bug sweep (every couple months) so if you need me to look at it (and you do!) then send me an email describing the problem in great detail, thanks!

reddroki

Post by reddroki »

Hi Dave,

Got that and working on a reply. Thanks! 8^)
---

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

k :D

reddroki

Post by reddroki »

Hi Dave,

I will try to re-create the problem. I would insert the disc and select all and drag them into the library. I would then watch the activity window as it ripped the songs and wait until there was no more activity. Then I would go into the library and search for the disc I had just entered and compare the number of songs I had to tried to import to the number on the disc. Sometimes it would only have imported about 1/4 of the songs. There was no message it just stopped like it does when things are successfully imported.

I would then remove the disc from the library and re-start Kjams. I would insert the disc and try to rip it again and numerous times it would just go into the spinning ball or just crash.

I hope this helps. I have to say that despite the few problems we have had we love the program and look forward to using it. When they are in and working right it is a thing of beauty.

Thank you,

Anita
---

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Thank you Anita that is an excellent report, it gives me much more to go on :)

Would you be willing to do this, to help me diagnose this problem with the disc?

click below and follow the instructions for "Trouble Ripping"
https://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/SuperCDG

thanks!