Video on Screen

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
lenskaraoke

Video on Screen

Post by lenskaraoke »

Is there any way for me to video the singer and have the video of them singing on the screen as they sing with the words still coming up on the screen. Most of the karaoke nights I do are in a room away from the bar, so if I could do this I could have a screen over the bar and all those by the bar could see their friends singing without leaving the bar (which seems to be sacrilege to some)
Tell the truth or lose the horse

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

Not *yet* ;)

You could use a dedicated video mixer however.

-dave

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

okay you inspired me. took about 10 minutes.

warning: it sucks

in the new version, just turn on "take photos" in the file menu, and you'll get a 50% blend of lyrics and video of your web cam.

note: it's very slow frame rate (not optimized at all), and doesn't look very good due to blending rather than compositing. but it's free and it's there right now.

-dave

lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

Well, I've just tried this and it's not bad so I'll try it at a pub with selected tracks at weekend. I'll have to make sure that it's a picture free track
I'll also look at a video mixing program and let you know how successful that is.
I can't believe just how fast you made this possible.

lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

Hi Dave
do you know of a way to turn built in isight off so that a separate video camera can be used via the firewire

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

this feature is just a hack at the moment, there is no UI for choosing which camera to look thru.

-dave

lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

Well Dave, What a great hack, I can't believe how fast you produced it.

Going off your standard I know you'll improve this. For now I might get one or two singers to sing to the words on the laptop just to try it out.

Thanks a million for what you've done so far

lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

I tried this last night and those that had a go loved it. It caused a good laugh amongst all the audience and singers alike.
It is just what the doctor ordered for a fun night at the karaoke
Thanks again

lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

I've just connected my video camera to the laptop and when I clicked "take photo" the picture source was the video camera not the built in isight
I tried the video camera the other day but it didn't do the job, and today I've tried again and it worked.
So I'll try it again next week at a gig, using the video camera, and I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again, Len.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

okay i just "fixed" it so it's a real overlay and not a 50% blend, and the frame rate is up a bit.

but that's IT for now, i'm just messin around with it, this is not the actual design, but a hack you can play with. new release this week some time.

lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

Thanks dave
I've been away for the last few days otherwise I would have responded sooner. As soon as the release is ready I'll download it, try it and I'm sure I'll be happy with the results, after all I was happy with the hack, and maybe in the future when your inspired even further........who knows.

lenskaraoke

Post by lenskaraoke »

Was gonna try this with a camera next to the main TV screen but it's 10 yards away and I couldn't get a long lead locally so I'll order one online and try it next week.

edernest

cool feature!

Post by edernest »

I know this feature is pretty new, but I was curious how the side bar colors get selected. My iSight is standard def, and my display is widescreen, and it seems to randomly select a sidebar color when the "take photos" is turned on. Typically, with standard karaoke lyrics, the sidebars are the same color as the background (which looks okay). My preference when using a video background would be to use only black sidebars instead if possible.

Another thing I noticed (it's more obvious with video turned on) - between songs when you see the "who's singing next" info, I can see a very thin outline of the background of the current song around the edges. On my display I have overscan turned off, so I see all of the video output, where as others might not see the edges on their displays and it would not be a problem.

dave
Site Admin

bug

Post by dave »

looks like a bug
smells like a bug
seems like a bug
feels like a bug

-->> report a bug

CDG's have a notion of "background color" and "border color", the border is OUTSIDE the text area and this is the color i use for that area. Normally the border and the background are the same color. i'll fix it so they are black (transparent).

re: thin outline, yes another bug

edernest

Re: bug

Post by edernest »

dave wrote:-->> report a bug
Okay, I reported two bugs in the bug tracker for these. Thanks.