Video on Screen

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
Sedge

Re:

Post by Sedge »

lenskaraoke wrote:I've just connected my video camera to the laptop and when I clicked "take photo" the picture source was the video camera not the built in isight
DId you ever figure out a reliable way to choose your camera? I have a webcam that uses the macam drivers that I want to try out. Using the iSight built in cam is worthless, as its pointed at me, not the room.

>>Sedge

dave
Site Admin

Re: Video on Screen

Post by dave »

well, sure, i know how to do it. the question i guess is, how important is it? i've got some very big fish to fry so i'm trying to prioritize.. :)

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

heh - I wasn't even asking you, Dave. I prefer my salmon baked anyway.

I was asking Len if he figured out a way to use a separate camera with the current builds. Apparently it worked at least once, and apparently with a FW cam, not a USB one. So, I have no idea where I'm at. Honestly, I was figuring the few lines of code you hacked together referenced iSight directly, until Len made that comment.

I'm not sure I'm happy with this camera anyway. Perhaps I should upgrade to Snow Leopard to get better USB camera support? I'll probably take it back tomorrow and get one that is a bit more compatible - a Logitech instead of this Philips.

>>Sedge

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

k. i was under the impression that if your cam is plugged in when kJams starts, it'll use the external camera automatically. :)

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

It does, When I plug my camara in via the firewire I've not had to set any pref's, It's just worked and it works great
Posted by Len of LensKaraoke fame

Web site at
http://lenskaraoke.com

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

Well, I've tried really hard to get the Logitech C200 webcam to work. The good: It's UVC compliant, works fine in iChat and Skype with no additional drivers or utilities. The bad: when it's plugged in, I just get a black screen behind the video screens - oh, and even weirder, when I click on the menus at the top, (File, Controls, Video, Tools, whatever) the lyrics seem to flip upside down for a couple milliseconds. - perhaps just in the Video window, not in the preview window. (they also do this when mousing over Library entries) So, kJams is trying to use the camera, it is powering the camera (light on), and once in a while, it will work long enough to get a still image (perhaps what was on the top of the device memory stack from when it was used in another app) and it can hold that still behind the lyrics - but getting the still image is really hard to reproduce.

Even more fun. I started kJams, and I think while it was loading up, I disconnected the USB cam. Now, it appears to be doing the same things with the built in iSight. (black screen, lyrics flipping upside down) - I tried restarting kJams a few times, but no change. Perhaps I will need to close it and bring up the iSight in iChat or Skype, then shut that down and restart kJams for it to work again? - Nope, that didn't do it. Maybe a Windows style reboot will be necessary. Wow.

I know all this is unsupported territory at this point, so I'm really just leaving notes for in the future when video capture becomes a real feature. Perhaps I will return this Logitech and go buy a macally icecam. They are supposed to work really well, and I can get one for about the same I paid for this Logitech.

>>Eric

Sedge

Post by Sedge »

Excerpts from logged sessions:
####

File -> Take Photos
Saving Database: Start
Not saving because: gApp->i_db->IsDirty() is FALSE
Saving Database: End
File -> Take Photos
deleting overlay

####

File -> Take Photos
done reading QT file

QT spool read result: “End of File”
Close for write: Spooler: Audio File -> Adapter: Progress -> SC7555-00 - Dalton, Lacy J. - 16th Avenue.pcm
i_err closing QT spool: “End of File”
Close for read: Spooler: QuickTime
err closing QT spool: “End of File”
UnTracking: Spooler: QuickTime
#####

So, setting/unsetting the option is getting logged, but not much else. Nothing relevant is getting sent as system messaging. I thought that QT End of File might mean something, but since it doesn't always do that, I assume it is actually related to something else.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

try the new release about to be posted
let me know