Output to AirPort

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
HowardBrazee

Output to AirPort

Post by HowardBrazee »

I have an Airport Express next to my bed connected to two speakers.

When I run iTunes, I can select one or both my Mac's internal speakers or the Airport Express.

I don't see how to do that with kJams, is it possible?

dave
Site Admin

Re: Output to AirPort

Post by dave »

not sure why it doesn't show up in the kJams audio prefs. use system prefs instead.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

kJams gives me a choice of either "System Default" or "Built-in Output". I'm not sure what the difference is. But I can't select both.

System Prefs gives me a choice between "Internal Speakers" or "Howard's Airport Express". But I don't seem to be able to select both.

But iTunes allows me the choice between "Computer" or "Howard's Airport Express", but not exclusively. I can select both.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

You can select both by setting up a "multi-output device" using Apple's Audio MIDI Setup, which should be in your Utilities folder.
Just launch the app, click the "+" icon in the far lower left, and select "Create Multi-Output Device".
In the right pane, select the devices you want in that multi-output device you are creating (in your case, the Airport Express plus whatever else you want) Select the Master Device (the one that controls all the others, i.e. the one in charge, your main output) click on the device in the left pane if you want to give it a different name, and you've created your device.
Now in kJams you should be able to select that new output device from the list in the Audio prefs. kJams will now play through all outputs you included in your multi-output device simultaneously.
As to why kJams can't see your Airport Express, I'd look at your firewall settings.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

Thanks, DeusExMachina, that works.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I thought it worked, but when I went to the other room, I couldn't hear any sound from the speakers attached to my AirPort playing kJams. I ran the Audio MIDI setup and "Configure Speakers" with my wife in the other room, and the test noise came out there and at my computer. But when I have kJams set up to use Multi-Output Device, no sound comes out the remote speakers. See screen shots.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

So you're saying it works with system audio just fine, just not with kJams?
So if kJams is running, multidevice audio is not working but if you switch to another app, it still is?
Also, I see no screen shots.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yeah if you're using "system audio" within kJams, and your "system audio" is set to use AudioHijack or AirFoil or something then it should be working. We'll need detailed screen shots to make a diagnosis

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Dave,
I think he is saying he has the audio I kJams set to his multi device audio.
Also, IIRC, posting attachments is broken here.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

Let me try getting my images here again. I added a third image - when I told System Preferences to put the Multi-Output device's volume in the menu bar, I was unable to change volume with my keyboard - that volume was greyed out.

I tried to test whether it works with Garage Band. I opened it, and started a piano lesson. I went to configuration and switched the output. The video was now quiet. I switched back to standard output. The video was still quiet. I quit Garage Band and restarted - the video is still quiet. I can't get that video to play at all.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

image posting is currently broken, sorry. better to put them up on dropbox (or something) with a public link, then link to them here.

Also, sorry you're having trouble with ... i don't know if you're using AudioHijack or AirFoil or what. Are you using these directions?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

the screen shot that shows the aggregate device seems to show that the AirPort Express is grayed out, ie: not actually available.
can you select it from System Prefs or from kJams Audio Prefs? (just as a test)

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

From System Preferences/Sound, if I select Multi-Output Device, I cannot change my volume from the keyboard, and if the "Show volume in menu bar" is checked, that icon is grayed out. If I select my Airport Express there, the sound from my iTunes continues on my AirPort Express very quietly, but stops playing on my Mac. iTunes works with either Multi-Output Device or Internal Speakers.

Obviously, I need to be able to control the volume for my Mac when I select Multi-Output Device.

I have cycled kJams output between "System Default", "Built-in Output", "ACE Sound Effects", and "Multi-Output Device" - but can't get audio out on my Air Port speakers.

When I was testing this, I opened Garage Band. The first time I did this, I could play a piano lesson, but changed my output to "Multi-Output Device" (It has the same options as kJams has). Not the piano lesson is quiet. I set back to "Built-In Output" and later to "System Default", but the audio from those videos is still silent. I could, however get it to play piano notes - but only on my mac.