Output to AirPort

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
DeusExMachina

Re: Output to AirPort

Post by DeusExMachina »

The sound control not working is a known issue with multi-outp[it devices. I hesitate to call this a bug because it has been the case for years, and at this point Apple must know about it, and have a reason to leave it this way (though no one seems to know what that reason could be).
The solution is to use SoundFlower again.
If you have SoundFlower and SoundFlowerBed installed, use SoundFlowerBed to switch the audio to your multi-output device, and with your system audio to SoundFlower. You will now find that keyboard and onscreen volume controls work as they should and sound outputs directly from all the devices selected in your multi-output device.
I can not speak to what happens in kJams specifically, however.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I just installed Sunflower - I haven't yet found SunflowerBed. I will try Sunflower later today.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

My first download of SunFlower didn't include SoundFlowerBed, but I found it at: https://code.google.com/archive/p/soundflower/downloads and reinstalled.

I still can't un-gray out my sound icon when my sound settings are "multi" Here's my image:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/poej5oh249po0 ... M.jpg?dl=0

And I can't get sound on my AirPort speakers except via iTunes or when I select AirPort in my settings.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I just tried playing a podcast and got a crazy noise. Rebooting didn't help. Setting my Sound to Internal Speakers and rebooting fixed the problem.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

You need to set system output on the Mac to SoundFlower (2ch). This routes audio to SoundFlower, that then routes it back to your multi output device.
That said, I am having a hard time testing, so I can't yet verify.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Mon May 07, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I just set System Preferences/Sound to "Sunflower 2ch". I was listening to a podcast at the time. I immediately heard a very loud br-br-br-br-br noise which wouldn't go away by resetting my setting, nor by stopping the podcast. I did turn off sound with my keyboard, and will reboot shortly.

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

Ahh, I didn't need to reboot, just changing the SunFlowerBed from Multi-Output Device to Built-In Output quieted that noise.

I am now playing with SunFlowerBed. With my System Preferences set to SunFlower, my iTunes output which is set to both my Mac and my AirPort, only goes to the AirPort.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i hope you figured this out. it's a bit far outside the kJams universe to provide tech support for? Maybe someone else knows what to do here?

HowardBrazee

Post by HowardBrazee »

I didn't figure it out, but believe I'm getting a Home Pod for my birthday in another month, and will change my configuration possibilities then, so I'm putting off working on it.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Dave: any thoughts on why his original kJams configuration to send sound to Airport wasn't working?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i don't know, my brain has failed to grasp all the details of this case, too many moving parts unrelated to kJams. if you could provide a concise description of every single moving part, and the goal, and the point of failure, i may be able to get my neurons to splutter to life long enough to make a suggestion?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

As I understand it:
1) Airport Express NOT available to select from with kJams as sound output device.
2) When setting kJams to system default, and system default to Airport Express in System Prefs, kJams still does not play through Airport Express.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

if kJams is set to play through the system, and the system is set to play through AirPort Express, and there's no kJams audio but there IS other system sound audio, then check to see that kJams has it's volume knob turned up.