Crossfade playback between songs

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!

Would you use Crossfade Playback?

Sure
95%
No way
5%

Total votes: 19

edernest

Crossfade playback between songs

Post by edernest »

I'm not sure this is a feature the Pro users would be interested in, but for small private parties it would be handy to have a crossfade playback preference like iTunes. It would help avoid or at least reduce some of the silence between songs in less formal settings.

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

crossfade playback has been on the list since the beginning. this feature will definitely be in version 1.0.

meanwhile, have you seen this?
Crossfade With iTunes Script

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Check out this post for Automatic Crossfading

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Dave, can you clarify, this is not available to Lite users??

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Scripting is available only in the pro version. :?

dimkeal

Re: Crossfade playback between songs

Post by dimkeal »

this is the most important feature to me. i spend a lot of time walking around the bar getting people excited and helping them select songs. it gets crowded and i have to work my way back to my booth after a song to minimize silence. i have tried the crossfade script on the demo version of kjams but if i have to click it, it doesn't do what i need. currently i have been using roxbox from http://www.kjamp.com/ on a pc. it has a really great adjustable crossfade between the two built in players. i reeeeallly want to use my macbook and kjams. after an auto crossfade is implemented, i will be able to. also, from what i can see there appears to be only one window whereas i am used to a rotation window and a song browser window. you should really check out roxbox for some ideas, i have tried just about all other pc hosters but it's workflow has been the best...just not as exciting as kjams' other cutting edge features ;) any idea on a date this might be live? can't wait to buy yer pro version :)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

if i have to click it (ie: if it is not automated, then) it doesn't do what i need
I hear ya loud and clear. This is very high priority after I finish what I'm doing right now, along with Song Books, and DVD and VCD support. You'll have like a multi-deck and you can set up auto - fade filler music playlists very easily. This has been the plan from the beginning, and the underlying audio engine already supports multiple tracks and cross fading, (including video mixing) there is just no user interface on it just yet. I currently have much bigger fish to fry.
there appears to be only one window
No, I guess you musta missed that class. You can have a lyrics screen separate from the Browser screen. see the FAQ.

I purposely do NOT look at others' software, i only implement features that are requested or that are obvious, to avoid any "hey you stole my feature" type thing.

cfspinner

Post by cfspinner »

While I definitely want the crossfade feature to be part of kjams, especially if it can do it from an existing iTunes playlist, the crossfade script noted above works quite well for now. Been using it recently and definitely does the job.
Creator of the iSing Karaoke Locator for the iphone
[url]itms://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=334150511&mt=8&s=143441[/url]
http://www.karaokeblogs.com

dimkeal

Post by dimkeal »

i knew about the lyrics window. i meant there is only one player deck/song browser/rotation window. it would be cool to not have to switch between screens and just see it all at once. we get really busy and there is often two of us, one taking songs and searching for them while the other is telling people where they are in rotation and announcing who is next. i have already purchased the pro version of kjams because i fully intend on switching. i have tried it at parties but not at my regular nights. multiple browser windows and auto crossfade will be my redemption ;)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

"it's been the plan since the beginning". the whole thing of multiple windows, not just one. and video and audio mixing with multiple decks. yes. one day. but not soon.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Dave:
No offense to anyone, Frank from Texas included (author of RoxBox) but PLEASE do NOT take any interface ideas from RoxBox. Dare I say OMG what a horrible UI. I just finished "reading" the manual (or shall I say deciphering, considering that it appears to have been generated by translate.google from an OCRed Chinese text.) Other than having two players (which has nothing to do with the UI) the program is just a mess. I guess that works on the Windows side, where everyone has been beaten into submission by Sax & Dotty's and finds anything else a breath of fresh air, but compared to even Virtual DJ (which also sucks for karaoke IMO) Roxbox is a kludge.

And besides, in the end it is just another set of WinAmp plugins. Sigh.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

trust me, the multideck and crossfader will be done in "the macintosh way", even on windows.

dimkeal

Post by dimkeal »

still patiently waiting :)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

thanks for your patience.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

dimkeal,
Have you tried my iTunes autoCrossFader script (or the version by aantix, or the other one by someone else, i forget)? All of them do what you seem to be asking for, and do it automatically. Check them out, they may be a good stopgap measure while you wait for the real deal in kJams.