Mic delay

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
red-snapper

Mic delay

Post by red-snapper »

I've been trying out Kjams pro which we really like, but i've noticed a delay on mic input to output (which is down to the usb connection probably). Is it possible to create a variable delay on the audio output so music and vocals can be synchronized ?

dave
Site Admin

delay

Post by dave »

i am currently implementing the "default" delay, the one that you get if you do nothing. I had attempted to implement "minimal" delay, but it turned out that caused insane CPU usage, since i didn't do it quite right. I'll be returning to that soon (also to implement effects like reverb). I promise you i'm certainly not ADDING any additional delay. Note: there will *always* be a slight delay with digital audio, there is no way around it. Compare this to using Audio Hijack, set to minimal delay (buffer size), if AH gives a shorter delay, know that kJams will eventually be able to match it.

Also, USB hubs introduce delay. FireWire audio is the best.

edernest

mic delay

Post by edernest »

I've definitely notice the delay, and it seemed to only get worse with usage. Until this is resolved, I'll be using a very lightweight, free app from RogueAmoeba called LineIn. It simply takes a single input (line in from mixer) and directs it to a specified output (digital line out), exactly what I was looking for kJams to do for me.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

I just purchased kJams a couple days ago and otherwise love it. Thanks![/url]

dave
Site Admin

:)

Post by dave »

Of course you can always use Garage Band. You also get Effects with that. Same story Audio Hijack.

Yes LineIn is quite simple and does the job if that's all you need. I'll be fixing the kJams mic thing soon.

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

I tried using garage band for my mic and the delay got worse, alot worse! Will you be able to eventually minimize the delay. Also, will echo control be a part of Kjams soon? Cheers!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Did you know you can adjust the latency with Garage Band? Set it to Minimum and it should get a lot better.

I will make at least one more pass (probably 2 or more) over the mic-latency code. my plan is to get it as tight as Audio Hijack on Minimum Delay. They're the experts on this so they have a good benchmark to shoot for.

And yes, adding effects (*any* list of effects) is on the list. so that includes things like echo and reverb and chorus and compressor and whatever else you want. Keep in mind each effect ADDS to the delay.

Most professional DJs will use analog equipment for their entire audio setup for this very reason: no delay.

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

I will have to play around with Garage Band and find out how to do that. I really love your product, i'm just challenged because i'm not used to Mac's yet. Using analog equipment for audio, hmm. Iss there a low end mixer i can use ? something small? I thought it was better to run your audio through your Karaoke player for a better mix? Thanks again for your Software, i will be purchasing in a couple weeks to have all the features and support the cause!
Cheers!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Is there a low end mixer i can use?
sorry but i know nothing of that. can some pro KJ step in here?
I thought it was better to run your audio through your Karaoke player for a better mix?
Real DJs use an analog mixing board with effects like reverb / compressor, and do NOT run thru any digital conversions..
However, i personally am fine with a few hundred millisecond delay, it doesn't bother me too much, so digital works for me. The mic feature is really for home users who do not have a mixer.

-dave

edernest

low end mixer suggestion

Post by edernest »

I use a Behringer EURORACK UB802 Mixer for the mics. It's inexpensive and does the job, but lacks analog effects. You could pipe this to the Line-In on your Mac if you're not a purist DJ type. ;)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=631238

dave
Site Admin

?

Post by dave »

piping the mixer into your mac defeats the purpose of doing your audio routing manually.

if you're going to go thru digital in any case, you may as well get a digital mixer like a MOTU

edernest

true enough

Post by edernest »

MOTU? Forgive my ignorance.

I agree that it would make more sense for me to bring the Mac's audio into the mixer. I only do the reverse so I can achieve optical input to my receiver for DVD playback. Do any cheap mixers exist that take optical input?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

MOTU is the premiere digital mixer company, it totally rocks...

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite

I do not know if they have optical IO. the ultralite does not (that's the one i have)

-dave

edernest

oooh!

Post by edernest »

The MOTU looks very nice, Dave. If I made money off of karaoke, I would definitely look for something like that!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)