Replace current video player

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
jmv1

Replace current video player

Post by jmv1 »

Hello!

I would like to propose replacement for the video player in kJams. Current solution requires user to download multiple components to get all playback functionality. Also some of them are outdated software. It is cumbersome and gives a bit less professional feeling.

I am proposing that developers would consider using mpv as a backend https://mpv.io/ It is in active development (open source) and probably could be bundled with kJams. This player is clean and low on resources, cross platform, will play anything you throw at it, would be possible to use hardware acceleration and would remove separate installation of multiple components.

If this is out of the question then I would propose to have possibility for the user to add external player to be what he chooses (with advanced options).

kJams is already quite awesome for what it does and with this I think it would be awesomemest. :wink:

Thanks!
Jani

DeusExMachina

Re: Replace current video player

Post by DeusExMachina »

mpv uses mplayer, which uses ffmpeg, the same engine kJams already uses.

jmv1

Post by jmv1 »

Oh, didn't notice that. So it seems.

Well doesn't ffmpeg handle everything? In wiki it says I have to install mpeg2 codec, perian, Flip4Mac, DivX and AC3. And if I try to play for example mpeg2 in kJams it says I have to install mpeg2 codec. Shouldn't ffmpeg be sufficient for everything without any extra codecs? Could there be a setting that one could specify alternate location for ffmpeg if I have newer version installed somewhere and options to disable screens about missing codecs and just play with ffmpeg installed (some kind of expert option maybe?)
Jani

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Funny you should bring that up. That is exactly an issue I brought up a month or two ago, which is why you can now put ffmpeg in /usr/local/bin.
As to playback, kJams uses Quicktime, which unfortunately requires Perian in order to play non-canonical codecs, which in turn requires the installation of additional codecs. especially since Perian is no longer being developed.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

that'd be great, and something i've known that i need to do for a LONG time now: completely remove any dependency on QuickTime.

just that, i'm just one guy, not making ANY money to speak of, and have no free time :(
it most definitely IS on my list. currently i ONLY use ffmpeg to decode mpeg1 audio streams. but i could use it to decode ALL of them, but ffmpeg doesn't provide hardware-accel playback, that's the piece that i NEED, and if "mpv" provides that then it's a shoe-in.

sorry for the non-news :(

jmv1

Post by jmv1 »

That is strange. Are we talking about same ffmpeg? https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro

Well anyhow, mpv also provides hardware acceleration (see: https://mpv.io/manual/master/#options-hwdec) Basically with auto option everything should be all set. It would do DirectX on Windows and Videotoolbox on macOS and if unavailable fallback to software decoding.

I would lean towards mpv because plethora of nice options and OSD (configurable) +LUA scripting (if needed).

I think mpv could be bundled with kJams, but probably better to have it as external dependency as people could freely download newer versions.
Last edited by jmv1 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jani

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Was just about to post the exact same links!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

unfortunately mpv.io is licensed as GPL, not LGPL, so it's not something i can use.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Dave:
So, digging into it a little deeper, it appears that as a whole the mpv.io project is slowly trying to transition over to LGPL. Much of the code components are already LGPL, and any new additions must be LGPL. The only ones they will accept that are not are those that deriver form previous GPL code.
The few parts that are still GPL are listed, and it is these parts alone that put the overall license as GPLv2.

As such, I am wondering if it is not possible to remove those aspects that are GPL, recompile, and use the rest under their individual LGLP licenses.

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/Copyright

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

sorry, it's too sticky of a wicket, i'm not getting anywhere near it