Ordered version preferences list

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
DeusExMachina

Ordered version preferences list

Post by DeusExMachina »

It would be nice if the top item of the album popup sent to the server clients was something like "*choose the best version" (I'm feeling lucky) that then told kJams to pic the version from the available copies based on an ordered preference list set by the host based on what they consider to be the best, most accurate companies, with specific song exceptions for a given R-S track.
So, for instance, the host could set the order as SC, CB, SGB, PHM, DK, LGK, and if the selected track had an LGK and a SGB version, it would put the SGB version in for the singer.
If the track were, say, "Viva la Vida", and there were an SC, CB, PHM, SGB, and a DK version, but the host knew the the PHM version was closer to the original, and had already set the PHM version as the best (via a context menu in any playlist, for instance) that version of the track would be put in.
You have no idea how many things this would simplify, both for the host (changing tracks, dealing with the question "which is the best?", or "which is the original?") and the singers.
And it's just a simple bit of heuristics.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Ordered version preferences list

Post by dave »

that would not be too difficult, just time consuming.
i'd add a pref much like slipping: a global pref and a per-song pref. no song pref and it uses the global one. but a per song pref would override that. the infrastructure is already there for that kinda stuff. if the song's "album" name contained the chars, that would be the one picked.
i'll put it on the very, very long list. thanks!

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Just FTR, the "per song" would have to not refer to individual tracks, the full LTRS, but only the RS portion.
That would be awesome.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

but if you have five copies of "Love Shack", you want the one you want right? not some random one

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Actually, if I were to guess, I'd say that well over 95% of all singers have no clue how karaoke works, think the tracks are just the original song with the vocals somehow magically removed, and have no idea what version they "want".
So they are the ones selecting one almost at random (usually the first one that pops up in the list).
That's the rationale for this feature, since it can be embarrassing (to me at any rate) when a perfectly awful version gets past my oversight (I try to sub better versions/companies whenever I can, unless I KNOW they want the version they picked; this assumption that they don't know how things work is bolstered when the version they selected is simply the first or last one alphabetically by company in the list).
Also, having this be the first version kJams returns to the client over server guarantees that if they don't know how things work (and again, that is well over 95% of all singers, IME) they have a chance to get the best version that I would have selected, and takes all that oversight off the host's shoulders.
For me and I suspect other users who actually care, this is a significant amount of work.
If they select a different version, that give much more credence to the belief they chose that version for an informed reason.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

right! okay got it.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

On site poll confirms the majority of people have no idea what the difference is between versions (and just pick the first one or one at random).
PITA!!!
This and rotation ordering (as per the flow chart from last year!) are the two biggest sources of time and effort suck, and the two biggest targets for automation.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

okay, well, it's on the list :D