Read into RAM only active singers

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
DeusExMachina

Read into RAM only active singers

Post by DeusExMachina »

Less a "feature request" than a implementation request.
Since reading in the Venue list (and/or switching venues) is one of the most time consuming parts of startup, I was thinking about whether it was possible to re-architect so that only singers marked "Here" are read into RAM from their user files, and the rest of the singers in a given venue are just read in from the ls/dir. This should be MUCH faster. Once up and running, singers newly marked here, of singers whose disclosure triangle you click (or whose playlists you activate) would also be read in, as needed.
This would greatly facilitate the venue-reload needed when you have to copy a user over from another venue, and also, of course drastically decrease launch times, another important factor, especially after a crash.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Read into RAM only active singers

Post by dave »

yes there are a number of strategies for decreasing load time, and what you suggest is a good one. I'm not sure when i'll get to this but it IS on the list. thanks!