Global volume adjustment

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
doug1953

Global volume adjustment

Post by doug1953 »

Is there a way to have all songs at the same volume? :|

dave
Site Admin

Re: Global volume adjustment

Post by dave »

What you are asking about is a "volume normalize" function, which has been asked before.

The consensus seem to be to use a program called MP3Gain to fix them.

MacOCD

Post by MacOCD »

Sorry to wake up a VERY old thread, but this is exactly what I need to do. I have certain tracks that are stupidly loud and others too quiet.

Can someone tell me how we go about applying MP3Gain (or another utility) to normalise the output level of our zipped tracks stored in kJams?

I'm hoping there's some form of automated process or script I can use as I have close to 6000 tracks & rising.

Thanks,

Mark.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

How you do this depends on the format your tracks are in. If they are just raw, naked MP3s in a folder, you're golden, just drag them all into the list window in MP3Gain Express and normalize them as a batch.
If, however, they are in multiple folders across multiple drive points, or worse, compressed in zips, you will have to do a little skullduggery. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to write an automator script to batch process the files through your folder structure.
http://projects.sappharad.com/mp3gain/
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MacOCD

Post by MacOCD »

Hi my tracks are .zip files containing the .mp3 & .cdg file. This is the way kJams2 imports them for me. I'm not home at the moment to check if there's an alternative methods in kJams2 preferences.

I'll have a look at Automator or Hazel actions to process them, it doesn't look like it'll be overly straight forward though.

Thanks,
Mark.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Automator is fairly easy and straight forward, just drag the finder action to use current selection (or folder), pass that to the archive utility to unzip them, use a shell script to run MP3Gain on the resulting MP3s, then use automator to rezip them together based on identical names.
I have a script that does the last part available in the code area for download.
You'll want to modify the script so that it overwrites the original zip file.

The instructions I wrote for using that script for the archiver can be used to write the Automator script for this too.
https://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Code/karaokeArchiver

MacOCD

Post by MacOCD »

Many thanks,

I'll give this a bash (pardon the pun).

Having over 6000 tracks now I hope I don't overwhelm my Mac :)

Could you tell me the MP3 Command line you decided to be the best for you?

Thanks,

Mark.
(Currently 2000 miles away from my system :D)
DeusExMachina wrote:Automator is fairly easy and straight forward, just drag the finder action to use current selection (or folder), pass that to the archive utility to unzip them, use a shell script to run MP3Gain on the resulting MP3s, then use automator to rezip them together based on identical names.
I have a script that does the last part available in the code area for download.
You'll want to modify the script so that it overwrites the original zip file.

The instructions I wrote for using that script for the archiver can be used to write the Automator script for this too.
https://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Code/karaokeArchiver

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

TBH, I really can't remember what I ended up going with, and haven't renormalized my whole library, yet.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

MacOCD

Post by MacOCD »

DeusExMachina wrote:TBH, I really can't remember what I ended up going with, and haven't renormalized my whole library, yet.
Could you post your settings when you do re-normalise your tracks please? :) Mine vary tremendously between manufacturers but I'm really nervous about messing up my whole collection.

I'd still really love to see audio normalisation as a feature within kJams.

Thanks,
Mark.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:?: