fragmentation

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
randyj

fragmentation

Post by randyj »

A concern related to the zipping and unzipping of songs on the fly...

For the PRO version (if I ever have my own show)... I am concerned about fragmentation developing on my external hard drive (with thousands of songs on it).

Defragmenting could take a very long time, and copy drive->drive is known to take hours when you're in the 3-digit Gigabytes.

Does kJams keep the "scratch" files (cache, etc.) on one drive, and leave the source hard drive basically read-only?

I'm really enjoying kJams by the way!

dave
Site Admin

fragggin

Post by dave »

fragmentation is a concern from the past that is no longer relevant. Mac OS X does automatic de-fragmentation on the fly, you never have to worry about it again.

But yes, kJams keeps the cache (scratch) on the local drive.

However you should NOT make your music drive read only because what if you update your meta tags, you want that written into the ID3 tags of the song files right? Or if you convert the format from say AIF to MP3? Also when i get "arbitrary meta data per song" running, you're going to need to be able to write into the drive to store the extra meta data