bring back disable search as you type

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
Fiasco

bring back disable search as you type

Post by Fiasco »

I liked this setting. I don't care for it searching on every letter as I type it in.

Karanight

Re: bring back disable search as you type

Post by Karanight »

If you bring back the disable search as you type option I'd like you to keep the search as it is now as well, it's lots better because the I can leave the window and carry on with another job whilst the search is still going on in the background

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i have to ask: what's the problem? it's not like kjams is wasting time or going slow or interrupting you, is it? is it just "a feeling thing" ? cuz technically, there is no problem that i can see. (or: is there some bug you haven't said?)

Fiasco

Post by Fiasco »

I just upgraded our karaoke laptop to an i7 2670QM Asus. Running Kjams on the previous Core Duo was brutal.

I just don't care for the the search as you type, the text field seems to lose focus/delay upon each subsequent character as you enter it. I've always just done partial string searches and was quite happy with that.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

so, you're talking about a bug then. obviously, it should not be losing focus or delaying as you enter characters, that would be a stupid "design". can you provide some more details about how/when it loses focus? or what, exactly, the "delay" looks like? do you mean delay in the music? video? character entry? and, presuming these bugs are fixed, how exactly is it any different at all from having to hit enter at the end?

how many songs do you have? how much RAM? mac or windows?

Fiasco

Post by Fiasco »

Dave,

I couldn't quite put my finger on it. It just seemed "off". I've only had this on an i7 for a bit so not enough experience with it.

I think I know what it is. I can type about 90 words per minute. When I type in a song/artist kjams is missing keystrokes because I"m typing so fast. So, I might get the first letter into the text box and then 2 or 3 letters won't be caught as the search starts with each keystroke.

I find myself constantly backspacing the search box and forcing myself to type in slowly.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Okay, that's a bug. that's obviously not how it's supposed to work. kjams should never "miss" keystrokes, in fact, the way it's programmed, that's not actually possible. so now you've piqued my interest. can we get on the phone and do a screenshare so i can see this?

please call me during office hours:
http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Office_Hours

Fiasco

Post by Fiasco »

Sorry Dave,

Almost no time (running a bar eats up alot of time... who knew). Try typing in something incorrectly and then quickly backspacing and typing it correctly

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

ah. so i tried this, typing really fast:

mac:
1) type some words, back space a bit (not to beginning), type some more
2) type some letters, backspace to the beginning (no letters showing), type some more

windows
3) type some words, back space a bit (not to beginning), type some more
4) type some letters, backspace to the beginning (no letters showing), type some more

and i discovered that 4) could miss a character that i typed. (1-3 all worked perfectly, nothing ever missed). the only reason 4 missed a character, is because on windows, adding tens of thousands of items to the data browser list ends up showing a progress bar! showing the progress bar brings a different window to the front, which then eats the key events. this is clearly a design flaw that i hadn't noticed before, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

presuming i fix this, would THAT float your boat?

Fiasco

Post by Fiasco »

hah, you already floated it.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

okay so i fixed it so NO DIALOG comes up when kJams is adding items to the browser, instead, it shows a task in the activity window. now, no characters are ever missed. that good?