Caching streaming songs...

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
rmanke

Caching streaming songs...

Post by rmanke »

We've having a lot of problems with kJams not properly cueing streaming songs... Many times it won't have downloaded the songs properly or when it's played back the lyrics and the music aren't synchronized.

The only solution seems to be to press stop to halt the show and start the song manually.

Could I suggest that there be a CUE or CACHE button on the streaming songs so that the kJams can selectively cue a song to download immediately? The cache would have to remain until its been played.

We've had several times where the singer order changes and the song's not ready to be played because it hasn't had time to download or be cached from the previous singer.

Something to fix this problem is sorely needed for us...

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by rmanke on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmanke

Re: Caching streaming songs...

Post by rmanke »

Note that this is mostly needed for tricerasoft because of the HUGE file sizes for the songs... It seems most of them are over 50 mb in size, and can take a while to download on slow bar Internet.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

do you mean 5MB in size? i do not think that any are > 8MB, much less 50MB.

the bug here is that kjams doesn't automatically pre-cache the next song whenever the rotation changes. but i can add a "pre-cache" command just in case anyway.

can you tell me what steps to take so that I can see the problem of the audio and video not being sync'd? be explicit enough that i can readily reproduce the problem 100% of the time, thanks.

rmanke

Post by rmanke »

The problem is that it doesn't happen every time.

It was happening consistently last night that when I queued a song in the rotation I saw it download the song and it looked ready to play.

Typically pressing play started the song playing but there was no sound and no graphics appearing.

The only remedy was to press the stop button and press play again for the song to appear.

I will try to do more testing.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

okay. try to create a test case where the problem is reliably reproducible. if you can narrow it down, i'll look at your machine.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Also try rebooting and starting fresh. OSX handles vm VERY badly, and rebooting will clear out all your swap files. If you have been running a long time with low amounts of RAM (or even with high amounts of RAM) the data an app uses can be spread out over many swap files, causing any number of operational headaches.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:shock:

Vance

Post by Vance »

totally agree with the tricerasoft not streaming well, I find it won't play even after download and "caching" if it is the first song of the night (or if I wanna muck around at home), changing rotation order as has already been mentioned also causes a few issues (singer not here and next singer wants to sing a song I'm streaming)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

this thread originally indicated a bug totally not related to downloading, it was about pre-caching , and that bug was fixed. this new bug about downloading has also been fixed in the rogue.

Vance

Post by Vance »

dave wrote:this thread originally indicated a bug totally not related to downloading, it was about pre-caching , and that bug was fixed. this new bug about downloading has also been fixed in the rogue.

possibly a totally stupid question but I have 20 other things going through my head currently, is this fix is in the automatic updates as checked for on kjams startup or are the rogues a separate update altogether?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

The rogues are separate until the next official update, at which point the changes that are for the general audience are folded into the release. Sometimes rogues contain experimental code to ferret out bugs or implement a certain test feature. These do not always make it into the release.
In this example, changes that fix bugs appear in the update.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

hey, he stole that thing that i say!

DeusExMachina

Except I forgot this:

Post by DeusExMachina »

:)

dave
Site Admin