Record and add to iTunes Playlist

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
way2fst4u

Record and add to iTunes Playlist

Post by way2fst4u »

I'd like to be able to record my singers (as I did with my old program), and play their recordings between singers at a venue. Ideally, it would save the file as: Singer - Venue - Song Name - Date.mp3

Not sure if any of this is even possible, but when it saves the song, maybe add it to a specific iTunes playlist called "filler music" or the Venue name (forgoing the name in the title) or something like that...? I would like to be able to add regular music to this playlist as well. Feasible? More scripts? I saw one that uses Audacity and another Garage Band script...but not QUITE the "automation" I'm looking for.
Thanks!

Scott

dave
Site Admin

Re: Record and add to iTunes Playlist

Post by dave »

it's unlikely this will be a banner feature in kJams, but you can sortakinda do it now using GarageBand

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

You can use the Audio Recorder app, or quicktime. If you want, I can write a small app to do it automatically.

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

I would love an app that writes the song name, and the singer to the file and adds to a playlist... :)
Thanks!

Scott

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Actually, I meant do the whole thing. Records the singer, saves the track, and plays the previous singer between tracks.

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

That sounds amazing...maybe Dave can incorporate it into the next ver.? :D
Thanks!

Scott

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Doubt there will be much call for it. Plus, it would require adding your recordings to the main library, as that is how kJams is architected. Since these are tracks I suspect you are going to delete once you play them, I doubt there will be much call for it.
The other issue, though, is that you need some way of specifying where in the track you want playback to begin. If the person happens to be singing a track with a two minute intro, for instance, then if you play from the beginning, the filler music will never contain the actual singer.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:shock:

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

Any thought into incorporating the recording part in yet? ;)
Thanks!

Scott

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

there really isn't much call for it. and you can just use GarageBand.

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

Just trying to avoid other programs running...I tried it and it's a total pain. But If there's not a huge call, I understand. My customers have been BUGGING for me to get it back since I switched from PC to my Mac... ;)
Thanks!

Scott

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

As I said before, I can modify my already existing script, but the problems I mentioned earlier for usage still need to be addressed:
kJams would have to add a track to its library that you would never play again
The script would have no way of knowing at what point you want playback to begin. If the vocal doesn't start until 30 seconds in, you might never even hear your singer.
These things would have to all be answered to write the script to do what you seem to want it to do.
One workaround to part of it would be to give the track a generic name, say Interlude-Music, add that to the library, and add THAT to an interlude playlist. You could then have that singer appear between tacks, and just keep moving them down the rotation. The script would then delete that track and replace it each time, so kJams would be unaware that the track had been replaced. However, until 2.0, you would lose crossfade, and introduce other interface issues, so I doubt that is the most effective route to go.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

well, 2.0 will have scripting for just about everything, so all that might actually become possible. but that's a ways off

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Well, even with all the 2.0 goodness, you still miss the important part: without knowing when in your recording your singer actually sings, you might have 30 seconds of intro music before anything worth playing back. The result would be that instead of highlighting the previous singer, all you end up doing is playing an instrumental!
In general, I still think my script, as written is the best basis from which to start, where the user sets a start and end time, and once the singer finishes, allows you to fade in the part you chose to record.
Once 2.0 comes around, I suspect the best avenue would be just to have all that built into kJams, since adding recording snippets really isn't that hard.

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

I'm not worried about filler music. My singers are asking if they can get a CD at the end of the night with their recordings. I can just do a quick edit to clip out the silence... I can use them as fillers if people agree for the following night or venue.
Thanks!

Scott