Auto-texting alerts for rotation

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
jfbiii

Auto-texting alerts for rotation

Post by jfbiii »

I know this is probably a dumb idea...but lately our smoking laws have changed and increasingly there are people in the rotation who are not inside when it is their turn to sing. Also, I was trying to figure out a way that I could run karaoke at a street festival-style setting sprawled over a few blocks where there would potentially be a long queue with no way to let people know that they would be singing soon if they wandered away from the stage.

I had this thought that along with the singer info we could include a mobile number and set up an auto-notify so that when a song began, the next x people in the queue would get a text that said, "your song starts in x:xx minutes" using Google Voice or some other free service with an API that allowed a 3rd-party program to send a text from an account I set up specifically for this purpose.

Maybe someone with experience doing karaoke at a street festival-style event might have a better system? If I was doing one this week, I would simply pay an additional person to perform this task manually. I thought about the little alert boxes that restaurants use, but that involves acquiring more moving parts and things for people to break or lose.

At any rate, I wanted to at least share the idea. I know it's not exactly an every day usage case.
From he to whom much liquor is given...much singing is expected.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Auto-texting alerts for rotation

Post by dave »

i'd be willing to build that feature into kJams if there were a FREE web API i could call to send the text messages.

unfortunately, my five minutes of google found only paid services.

jfbiii

Post by jfbiii »

Noted. Thanks, I'll do some investigating.
From he to whom much liquor is given...much singing is expected.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

just found this gem right here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SMS_gateways

Update: Okay you got me all inspired, so i made wrote a little code to scrape the above web page and produce a machine readable plist (xml) file. no promises, but looks like we DO have free text-sending ability now.
carriers.zip
(3.84 KiB) Downloaded 273 times