Reset Song ID Numbers

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
jfbiii

Reset Song ID Numbers

Post by jfbiii »

Any plans in the works to give us the ability to do something like this? I wouldn't even ask about it except that the song number generating seems excessive. Every song I add now has 7 digits. Every new batch of songs that I add -- and sometimes it's just one song that I'm adding -- seems to increment to a new number an even more ridiculous number away from the previous song number than the last.

The first batch input of songs was about 3700. So those numbers run from 1 to 3735.
The next batch of songs I added was 5340 to 5388.
The next batch was 5411 to 5471.
Then 6662 to 6908.
Not a hundred more songs later, the numbers jump to 20298.
Then to 36858.
After another 400 songs I'm already into 100205.
Another 500 songs and I'm at 7 digits.
Another 200 songs and I'm three-quarters of the way to 8 digits.

I just don't see how there's a need for song numbers to be more than 5 digits. Most people don't use them to turn in songs any more, but when they do hand me a slip with just a song number the chances for an error go up exponentially with each extra digit.
From he to whom much liquor is given...much singing is expected.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Reset Song ID Numbers

Post by dave »

sorry, yeah, it's just not possible with the current architecture to do that.

SongID is like a floppy disk or printed song books with numbers: it's going away, it's old technology, meant to solve a problem we just don't really have any more provided we're moving into the future. I recommend NOT printing song books with song IDs, or song books at all, really. We should all be moving to the Server. If you must print song books, just print song name, artist name, and optionally album name (which is usually the manufacturer, like SunFly or SoundChoice et). For your old song books, until they wear out, it's just a user education thing to tell them all "don't use the numbers any more".

jfbiii

Post by jfbiii »

I figured that was the case. It's not really a huge issue, just every once in a while it crops up. Next books I'll do away with the song number. Much as I'd like to simply do away with books it's just not feasible at the moment.
From he to whom much liquor is given...much singing is expected.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)