Streaming CD+G files from NAS (AFP) and Smart Search

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
slimshady

Streaming CD+G files from NAS (AFP) and Smart Search

Post by slimshady »

Hi,

I had problems opening up my library of Karaoke files (CD+G, mp3+CDG) from my NAS using the OSX AFP protocoll. I have all my media stored on a NAS (Linux w/EXT3). Kjam is run on my Macbook Pro, and it gives me an error that I cant add files from a 'case sensitive' file system. If streaming from ext3 file system is not supported, I would propose this as a very desired new feature.

Also I would like to have a smart searching algorithm, that allows one to search for some part of the filename or ID3 tags without telling which part or where in the filname it is. By this I mean, if you write e.g. 'Michael' in the search field, then every song with 'michael jackson', 'george michael' etc. comes back, and also songs that have 'michael' in the title. Winamp do this very elegantly with their 'jump to' -command.

Thank you so much.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Streaming CD+G files from NAS (AFP) and Smart Search

Post by dave »

the file system must not be case sensitive. that is that. reformat your file system to be NOT case sensitive and it will work.

also, kjams already does what you call "smart searching"

slimshady

Post by slimshady »

why does case sensitive file system cause problem when streaming from it? I wish you could implement support for it.... Have you looked into it?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

case sensitivity causes a zillion problems that are simply not worth my time fixing or accommodating for. yes i have looked into it.

for one example kjams sometimes searches for files by a constructed name if the file has been lost. it can currently search for "song.mp3" and find it, even if the file is named "Song.mp3", or "Song.MP3" or "SoNg.Mp3". it would be crazy to have to iterate every permutation of capitalization just to find a song, it would basically make finding songs by name not practical.

that is just one example. there are in fact many, too many to make the feature worth while.

Can I ask, why are YOU stuck on case sensitivity? How could it *possibly* be a "good thing" to be allowed to have "File.mp3" and "file.MP3" in the same directory? I recommend you just switch to "case preserving but insensitive" file system format.

slimshady

Post by slimshady »

Thanks for answer.

I use a synology NAS which run on a minimal debian linux distribution (Busybox). It uses EXT3 file system. This NAS serves all my video and audio files to my equipments around the house.

If KJams doesn't support streaming from my NAS I have to run the files locally on the HTPC machine. It is of course acceptable, and I will fall back on this.
To fix the file system so it is case insensitive I must format the drive, and that is not desirable.

A follow-up question, will you support Lion OSX with fullscreen functionality and so on?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

there *is* a case-insensitive EXT3 file system that you can use, i realize that backing up your entire NAS, reformatting, and restoring is a monumental task. sorry for the hassle.

kJams supports Lion yes, and the Lyrics window does indeed go full screen (which is the most important part to go full screen). As to the Browser window going full screen, no, probably not for a long while. Possibly with v2.0.

slimshady

Post by slimshady »

Thanks.

I think KJams is the best karaoke software for OSX.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)