persistent search field

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
DeusExMachina

persistent search field

Post by DeusExMachina »

Here is an old one:
Because the database engine is currently rather slow, the type ahead search is not very useful, and as such, neither are persistent search fields (applying the search to successive playlists as you switch.)
Because of this, I suspect most people, except those with VERY small libraries do not use this option. What WOULD be useful, however, would be if the search field text could be set to remain persistent in the search field (but just not perform the actual search.)
This way, when you mistakenly enter a search, but find yourself in the wrong playlist, all you need to do is hit return. But when you DON'T want to search at all, you can switch without having to wait through the search.

dave
Site Admin

Re: persistent search field

Post by dave »

sure but that's a stop gap measure until instant searching is done. i don't want to invest in stop gaps, i want to invest in instant search.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Well, see, I don't see it as JUST a stopgap measure. I would want it there even WITH instant search. You see, sometimes I am in the wrong playlist, and type in a long search term, wait for results, only to get none, when I KNOW that I have that track. I then notice that I am searching in the wrong place, and I have to switch to Library and do it all over again. Being that I am a crap typist, it can get very frustrating.
Equally frustrating, though, is when I set it to keep the search, and switch playlists and it does the search and I DON'T want it to.
Keeping the search field text, but leaving starting the search to the user provides a solution that keeps the best of both worlds, and would save me time and frustration, even if instant searching were implemented.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

the problem is i'm trying to remove cognative dissonance. once i have instant search going, there will be no "type then enter" preference, that pref will be GONE. it will ALWAYS be instant search with no way to turn it off. that means, there is no possible way to have a search term in the search box and NOT have it reflected in the list. that means, IF you see a search term, then the list reflects that search term.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Well, cognitive dissonance is just a UI element waiting to be created! :)
Like maybe grey text, or highlighted, or an ellipsis. Or maybe just a repeat search button that repeats the last search on the current playlist.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yes, that's more likely, a list of recent searches you can pick from
but in the future you won't be able to create a situation where there is a search term and the list doesn't show the results.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

type ahead look up FTW!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:shock: