Server on Port 80

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
alcoholiday

Server on Port 80

Post by alcoholiday »

Hello!

First - let me just say what you already know, kJams is the best Karaoke software out there! And I of course, have supported it by buying the Pro version, even though we don't use it "professionally", it's more the "pro-sumer" kind of thing...

Second - I've got some Karaoke projects (for instance integrating a Karaoke into two different vehicles), and I've been hacking on the software some (to the extent one can w/o sourcecode), mostly just tweaking the web server html/js/etc to work better for our applications (mobile web). If I get anything worth sharing, I'd be happy to... it's still pretty hacky, but one thing I'd like to to be able to run the server on port 80.

Background:
1) I'm running Snow Leopard
2) Nothing else is on Port 80, it's a "permission thing"
3) When I run the Application as root (sudo open -a "kJams Pro"), it 'works', and the server will run on port 80, but it complains and runs the "no ecellerate" version, and doesn't see existing libraries etc.

It would be cool if you could figure out a way to do this.

In the mean time, I guess I can just reflect 12345 on 80 via netcat or something... when I get that working, I'll post it incase someone else has similar hopes.

More background: I'm setting up a wifi hotspot with the name of venue, when you select that wifi, the router will automatically direct you to the kJams Server pages (hacked up to fit better on a mobile phone).

Great product Dave!
-Scott

alcoholiday

Re: Server on Port 80

Post by alcoholiday »

And my normal style, I'm the first reply to my own post...

Here's what I'm running to relay port 80 to 12345. I'm using SSH, which is a little heavy handed since we don't need any security since it's all localhost, but nc and netcat (gnu netcat) tunnels aren't persistent.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
echo
echo Remember: must be SUPER USER and interface to bind on must be specified
echo sudo ./kJamsPort80 192.168.69.99
echo 
while (true) ; do
    echo "port localhost:80 to kJams port localhost:12345"
    echo ssh -N -L $1:80:localhost:12345 scott@localhost
    ssh -N -L $1:80:localhost:12345 scott@localhost
    echo "Restarting..."
done
On a multiport machine (most laptops), you need to tell it which interface to bind on... not sure why it didn't bind on all of them, but what this heck, this works enough for now.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

In the next release, kJams can now just use port 80

:D

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

Can we use any other ports yet? I have a venue with a firewall that blocks port 80
Thanks!

Scott

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

use any port you want above 1024

but, umm, are you SURE it blocks port 80? that means no web browsing for anyone? kinda weird.

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

I though it was weird...she said it's blocking servers? I also cannot get on the app store there. If it wasn't a large corporate chain, I could probably get them to change...but as of now I get NOTHING from the app, and I can't browse using the IP and Safari either.
Thanks!

Scott

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

firewalls sit between the LAN and the WAN. they do not interrupt the LAN. you are on the LAN serving to the LAN. there is nothing stopping you from using port 80 to serve the LAN. if there is, it's not a network configuration i'm familiar with, and in that case there's nothing i can do. just use a high number port like 12345

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

LOL...it is, and I've never seen one like this as well. I have no other issues at 3 different venues during the week.
Thanks!

Scott

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

well, perhaps you should run your own ad-hoc network then, your mac can do that without any extra hardware/software.

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

dave wrote:well, perhaps you should run your own ad-hoc network then, your mac can do that without any extra hardware/software.
And here is where I'm beat on the Mac knowledge...I'll research it. Thank you.
Thanks!

Scott

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:shock:

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Just go to the WiFi menu and select "Create Network…" Name your ad hoc network, and you're done.

way2fst4u

Post by way2fst4u »

OK THIS is weird. No matter WHAT I do at this venue...it says "cannot connect to [computer] on port [port#]". Port 80, 1024, 2020...doesn't matter if I set up an AdHoc network or what...why would this happen at this one venue???
Thanks!

Scott

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

This should NOT happen at any venue, since the ad hoc is set up by the Mac, and does not use the venue hardware at all.
First question is: What is saying that you cannot connect? The remote machine, the Mac? Are all the remote clients set to use your ad hoc, not the venue WiFi?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

?