Moving the singer up automatically in KJ Rotation as in Rota

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
Karanight

Moving the singer up automatically in KJ Rotation as in Rota

Post by Karanight »

When I play tracks from the KJ Rotation window the singers remain in the same position, but when I play tracks from the Rotation window as one track ends and the next one plays. the new track (Singer) moves up to position 1

I'd find it helpful if the same happened in KJ Rotation because if there's a lot of singers and I've been moving singers about the current singer isn't highlighted and I don't know at a glance who's next.

Also when singers come to look at my computer screen they think the next singer is the one at the top, and if it happens to be them I get moans because the next singer isn't them. (I was the next singer, why have you put that singer on, don't you like me) I then have to explain the reality (That I don't like them)
Or I have the scenario where the singer thats looking is the next singer but because their not at the top of the list they think there not the next singer and they go for a cigarette or to the loo

Even when the current singer is highlighted, singers still think the next singer is the one at the top
Posted by Len of LensKaraoke fame

Web site at
http://lenskaraoke.com

dave
Site Admin

Re: Moving the singer up automatically in KJ Rotation as in

Post by dave »

you're not understanding the difference. the difference is there for a very good reason. please read up on this:
http://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Rotation
if there were no difference between rotation and kj rotation, then there would be no point in having a kj rotation.
what you're actually asking for is a way to see who's up. that would be like the speaker icon next to the current singer. i'll add that soon i hope.

the KJ Rotation is NOT the one the singers should be looking at. that's for you. don't show it to the singers.

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

Dave wrote:what you're actually asking for is a way to see who's up. that would be like the speaker icon next to the current singer. i'll add that soon i hope.
Thanks for adding that, It does the job
Posted by Len of LensKaraoke fame

Web site at
http://lenskaraoke.com

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I think what he is actually asking for is for the kJRotation to, well, actually rotate. This would differ from the rotation list.
For instance, if you have 20 singers, each with 5 songs. the kJR would be 20 singers long. The rotation would be 150 songs long. Currently the kJR is static, but theoretically it could be made such that the current singer is always on top, and after the finish, they rotate to the bottom of the list. The list still stays 20 singers long. That way current singer is always on top.

That said, I do not know that this really helps anything.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

that would remove part of the distinction between "Rotation" and "KJ Rotation". The part of the POINT of "KJ Rotation" is to know who is the FIRST person in the rotation, and the ability to drag-reorder them. you would lose both of these abilities if the order was not static.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Well, first, let me make clear that I am not advocating doing this, just clarificating!
With that said, I am not sure that knowing who is first in the rotation matters to many people.
Also, there is nothing stopping you from reordering. Just drag and drop as before. If the list is:
Singer A
Singer B
Singer C
Singer D

and then Singer A finished, you get:
Singer B
Singer C
Singer D
Singer A

at that point I drag singer D up a position, resulting in :
Singer B
Singer D
Singer C
Singer A

Again, not sure if this really adds anything useful.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i think you don't want to lose your ability to drag-reorder. and i argue that you do want to know where the rotation "starts", as in, who is the first person at the top of the rotation.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I wouldn't argue at all, since I have no problem with the way it works now.
Just don't see why you would lose drag reorder, as in the final example.
But again, personally, I am quite content with your current set-up.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

because you can't drag-reorder a playlist that changes out from under you at any time.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Doesn't it already do that, like when a new singer adds themselves via server?
I assumed it would just lock the playlist during a shift
Again, not advocating, just curious.
but I suspect that the real practical answer is that it isn't going to happen, which is fine by me, as I am fine with a static kJRotation list.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

no, the new singer gets added to the end of the rotation, which does not change the order of anything coming before it.

yes, the practical answer is "it ain't gonna happen"