Toggle for Preview pane

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
DeusExMachina

Toggle for Preview pane

Post by DeusExMachina »

OK, so I have discussed this in private already with Dave, but was hoping to get some gravitas in the form of the weight of public opinion into this, to maybe give it a bit of a bump up the list.
ShowScreens are great. One of the lingering issues, however, is knowing when exactly to switch them back over. If you have a ShowScreen up during an instrumental break, for instance, it is very easy to mis-time the switch back, resulting in the lyrics starting backup again while the show screen is still up. Needless, to say, unless the singer has the words down cold, this can cause "issues."
What would help prevent this is a simple toggle, that allows the showscreen to remain on the main video window, but continues to show the actual CD+G in the preview pane in the main kJams window. This could be set as a preference, but even better, by clicking (or perhaps double clicking) on the preview pane, the view would be toggled between the show screen and the underlying lyrics. (The video window would remain unchanged.) With this feature, one could easily avoid the above issue. It certainly has bitten me more than I would like to admit!

dave
Site Admin

Re: Toggle for Preview pane

Post by dave »

i'm interested in this, but unless there's more interest than just me and Mark, it goes "on the list", sortof down below the "if i'm bored and feel like doing something fun" line.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Hmm, the lack of response forces me to wonder whether:
1) Anyone actually uses ShowScreens at all, or if so only between songs, or
2) if anyone ever reads this forum.

I mean, this is a really important thing if you are using ShowScreens for anything other than between songs. Without it, you risk cutting off the lyrics, unless you are really good at counting measures. Even then, since SC seems very bad at correctly counting measures, it is really easy to leave the screens up too long.

Maybe I AM the only one using ShowScreens like this.

Maybe people think that the Feature requests forum is just private messages for you Dave. Maybe if I posted in the general forum… .

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

I dont use show screens mainly because of risk to cutting off the lyrics to the singer. I have played around with it when friends are singing and have cut off the lyrics to them a couple times :oops: I think the ability to see whats going on in the preview pane would make me start using it again.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

consider it done.
in a week or so.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

One person is all it took?

He, I guess I need to sign up for a second account!

:)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i was secretly on the verge

Scott Parr

Post by Scott Parr »

Hey everyone,

I did not understand the initial question and so did not chime in on this one... There is so much to kJams that I still don't understand everything.

What would have helped me on this one would have been if there was a YouTube video or something to see what you were really asking / trying to do / trouble that you run into when it doesn't go the way you wanted it to.

I am assuming that show screens are the message screens that say "tip your wait staff" and so on?

Sorry, I'm a visual person and don't always pick up on the real meaning of the question unless I can see it in action.

Another example... All of the discussions on Scripts... I have no idea what / how a script is or works. I have never thought of using any of these solutions because I wouldn't know where to start.

I'm not asking for any videos in particular but when I have been interested in learning a product or one particular way that it works, or one particular troubleshoot, videos have always made it much more clear.

Just throwing that out there incase anyone else does not participate on a thread because they get a little lost too :-)
- Scott

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

"showscreens" are documented here: ShowScreens

You can show them at any time, the challenge is that they hide the lyrics so the singer can no longer see them. So if you want to show one during an instrumental break, for example, you must be careful to hide it before the singer must start singing again.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I'll jump in here too.

Scott, if you need help on any of these issues, or live tutorials, feel free to PM me.

Gotta earn my keep somehow.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Also, as an addendum, what would be really cool would be a badge on the preview window, or perhaps the collapse button, that lets you know that the pane is toggled. I.e. when the preview pane does NOT match the video window!
Not important, just a nice little detail.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

got it

Jon Leggitt

Post by Jon Leggitt »

A different way to get around the ShowScreen problem people are having would be to come up with a way to put them on a timer. Maybe a pref to set duration, and a hotkey modifier to invoke the timer? That way, they'd only run for a few seconds then fade out on their own.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

sure, that's also on the list