Apple TV kJams Style

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
thiencao87

Apple TV kJams Style

Post by thiencao87 »

I know you're mighty busy but it's request that I'd like to see in the near future if possible at all.

I heard the new Apple TV uses iOS now and the App Store would be open there soon I believe. I was hoping
you could make a kJams like app to stream the content to the Apple TV with an intuitive interface. That way I
can keep the computer to myself and guests could simply use the Apple remote/iPhone/iTouch/iPad to manipulate
the Apple TV. Although if you could connect iJams somehow in this ecosystem that would be AWESOME.

If anyone else that is reading this and like it please post below to support :]

dave
Site Admin

Re: Apple TV kJams Style

Post by dave »

yeah i'd like to do that. i'd have to pipe everything thru quicktime, which is not a simple trick. that sounds like a 2.0 feature

gsteffens

Post by gsteffens »

I just bought an 2nd gen Apple TV and thought it would be a cool feature if kJams could stream just like iTunes can to ATV. After searching the forum I found this post so I'm just adding my interest to the thread. I'm a home user so my interest probably doesn't carry much weight but it sure would be slick to see that available for kJams Lite. But I could be tempted to upgrade to Pro just for that feature alone!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Yes this is something i'd love to see too, but it's too late to make it for 1.0, so it's on the list (very high) for v.next (1.5 or 2.0)

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Couldn't you already do this if iJams is available in the ITAS for ATV?
That gets you the user "content".
If you also need the video Window, you could get a Wireless HD transmitter and plug into the display port.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

iJams only lets singers search for and submit songs. you can't see the video playing.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

As mentioned, it all depends on what you mean by "user".
For singer input, iJams should work already. For lyrics, try a Wireless HDMI transceiver.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Another really cool and interesting option to look into is just to get a DLNA server for the mac to just send an HD signal via WiFi, if your TV or BD player is DLNA compatible, or has ethernet.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

yeah that.

TKDADJ

Post by TKDADJ »

My Christmas wish.....
Any Idea in if kJams will work through AirPlay in the near future? I love using it for itunes and think it would be unbelievable to run kJams with it:

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

as i said above, i'd have to pipe everything thru quicktime, which i'm NOT doing now. so that's not going to happen until 2.0 or something.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Dave, I am pretty sure this is not the case (the need for streaming through Quicktime). The work of Erica Sadun on her apps AirFlick and Airplayer, and the ability to use an app like VLC to stream the current desktop to the aTV via Airplay shows that this can be done without QT, especially now that both the public and private encryption keys are in the wild. AirPlay basically just uses Bonjour to set up the communication stream by finding local clients capable of accepting an incoming video stream. Once the handshaking is done, the Airport takes care of the rest.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/12/ ... -airflick/
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/22/screenca ... r-airplay/
http://ifoundthesolution.blogspot.com/2 ... g-vlc.html

Some more on the unexposed AirPlay API:
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/24/apple-tv ... o-service/

Fun Times!
Also, it has been reported that Jobs states that the APIs will be opened up sometime in the near future (2011).

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

mm, sure, if you want to have the end user take that on, that's fine for the intrepid and technically savvy. but to have this feature *properly* built into kJams, i'd have to pipe everything thru QuickTime. Which then could automatically take advantage of AirPlay.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I think what is happening here is simply that AirFlicker is using undocumented AirPlay APIs to use BonJour to discover or create available video servers, and then open a connection, then AirPlay on the ATV takes over and does the actual streaming. I think the implication here is that, if what Jobs promises comes true, by the end of the year AirPlay APIs will be officially published by Apple, and will open up the use of ATV for 3d party developers. In the meantime, the code snippets from the last link begin to expose the form these APIs will take, and what their calling syntax is.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

sure. but i'll use the official API as available today (pipe thru quicktime -> automatic support for airplay) or wait for the next "official" API that lets me do it without QuickTime.