Option to browse for photo background

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
Club Ample

Option to browse for photo background

Post by Club Ample »

Hi dave..

I was wondering if you could put the option to browse for a photo as an underlay... perhaps on the same tab as the video underlay?

Option to center, or stretch the image would be great too :)

dave
Site Admin

Re: Option to browse for photo background

Post by dave »

not too hard, i'll add it to the list

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

As I asked about this like two years ago (along with video underlay) I suspect it has been on the list for some time!!!! :)
As I stated before, and alternate option would be just to allow turing the background in the CD+G transparent, and make the desired pic or vid full screen on that monitor.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i have to stop adding features so i can finish windows and call it "1.0".

before 1.0: no advertising, no magazine reviews
imagine what'll happen when i declare it "1.0" ??

Club Ample

Post by Club Ample »

dave wrote:i have to stop adding features so i can finish windows and call it "1.0".

before 1.0: no advertising, no magazine reviews
imagine what'll happen when i declare it "1.0" ??
please stop adding features.. AFTER.. you implement this one dave :lol:

though this seems like it shouldnt be too much "work" figuring if you managed to put the video underlay.. how tough can it be to make it browse for a photo.

i certainly encourage the completion of the PC version ... even though i use the mac for my primary computer.

profits for you on PC sales could be a significant chunk of change and it would allow more resources to be put into both products development .

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

it's not that it's hard, it's just that it takes time. it'd probably take me five hours to implement that feature. five hours further away from say getting Burning working on Windows. don't worry, it'll happen. just not sure when.

Club Ample

Post by Club Ample »

dave wrote:it's not that it's hard, it's just that it takes time. it'd probably take me five hours to implement that feature. five hours further away from say getting Burning working on Windows. don't worry, it'll happen. just not sure when.
any idea about when this will become a reality?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

no idea. probably not for a long time.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Just to weigh in: FTR, it is a fairly popular feature of several other packages. Maybe if one could just turn transparency on, and deal with the graphic part on one's own (via dektop background, quicklook, etc.)….

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

well, with transparency i was trying to do "transparency with drop shadow" but if you're willing to NOT have that i may be able to do it faster. note that this may take longer due to having to write it for Windows as well.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Yes, I suspect that trying to write code to antialias against an unknown variable background is time consuming. But also probably unnecessary in the first go round.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

okay well this is as far as i got it:
on mac only:
it works flawlessly on a small screen size (like a TV)
but on a large screen it kinda works in that it flickers sometimes. i think it's an apple bug.
see here for a demo:

http://karaoke.kjams.com/downloads/buggy.mov

if that's acceptable it'll be in the next release of kJams for mac. nothing for windows yet. and it's a super secret pref. but you can toggle it by holding option key when you pick "toggle showscreen rotation"

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Nice! (Not the best choice of background colour, but hey!)

Is that weird little vertical jump what you mean by flicker? If so, who cares, people are so either:
1) nervous
2) preoccupied reading
3) drunk
that I doubt anyone will notice!

With judicious use of desktop pics, full screen quicktime, and quicklook, some pretty fun thing can be pulled off. I sense a script coming….
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Watching very closely frame by frame, I see that it is not a small vertical jump, it is an illusion of same resulting from a single frame losing anti-aliasing. Weird. But acceptable!

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

it's the drop shadow. on some frames it simply doesn't draw. i blame apple, since they're the ones drawing the drop shadow, and i'm doing everything right.