Another easy to add feature (auto fade)

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
DeusExMachina

Another easy to add feature (auto fade)

Post by DeusExMachina »

Set as a preference, similar to "Warn if playback will be interrupted", this feature would cause autofading on any transport control that would stop a track. So hitting pause, stop, etc. would not just abruptly kill the music, but would fade it out over a predefined, hopefully user selected, time period.
Just another way to help minimize my octopus hards routine I have to do on the mixer.
My Next2Fade script is an example of this, but triggering it via a script is kinda kludgy.

Alternately, just allowing for this with, say option-clicks on the transport controls, would be great. Opt (alt) >> for instance would fade to next.

I think this one is way easy.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Another easy to add feature (auto fade)

Post by dave »

"easy" is a relative term
but this is on the list

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Well, easy as in, at the very least, you could put an inline script trigger in the code, similar to how you do the update script, etc., and just trigger an Applescript.

(Or, easy as in, I don't have to do it!)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

do you mean have kjams run a script in between songs? or say N seconds before the end of a song? or what do you mean?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

OK, so example:
It is 1:30. bar closes at 2:00, and I still have 8 people to go in rotation, and some people are still submitting songs. I would like to get as many of them in as I can. The next singer has in Baba O'Riley (The Who). The three minutes of outro music is taking time another singer could be doing an entire song. No one really needs to hear the studio musicians play solos for three minutes, so I let it go for a little bit and then fade out using the mixer with one hand before skipping to the next track with the other. It would be nice if I could skip the octopus routine on the mixer, and just hit next track, knowing that the trusty kJams will fade out the currently playing track, and then skip.
Another example: 30 seconds in the drunk singer realizes that they really DON'T know their favourite song all that well, and bails. They are trying to think of what else to do, so I fade out with left hand and hit the stop button with my right. Again, it would be nice if kJams handled the part of my left hand (at least as far as sound control is concerned ;) )

The same things could trigger it as currently trigger the ceasing playback warnings.

Does that make sense?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Okay, so i did actually understand, the feature request is "any time a song has to stop, fade it out".

yes, i like that. it's definitely on the list.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Right, either as a universal pref, or as an option key behaviour.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)