Drop down history and favourite lists in kJRotation list

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
DeusExMachina

Drop down history and favourite lists in kJRotation list

Post by DeusExMachina »

It would make life SOOOOO much simpler if there were available a drop down with each singers history and/or favourites lists. No need to switch back and forth for frequent singers.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Drop down history and favourite lists in kJRotation list

Post by dave »

can you elaborate?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Um, you know who this is, Dave, right? I am nothing if not loquacious! :)

Anyway, often a singer gets up and changes their mind on the spot, and wants some other song. Often that song is in their History list. If I had a dropdown, just like I have with alternate versions of the current song, but populated by their history, I could do the change on the fly almost instantly. As it is, I have to find them in the list (which can take a few seconds with a 30 deep rotation, twirl them down, open the history, find the song, drag it to tonight, go BACK to kJRotation, and then play. The whole procedure can take as long as 30 seconds. A drop down in the kJRotation list would take all of maybe 5.

Just a workflow efficiency idea that I thought would be trivially easy to implement. As for interface, I don't think a new column is needed. It could just re-utillize the current "Song Name" field, with History list (and Favourites) listed after the items from "Tonight," similar to what is done now with "Add to Singer" or even better, as a hierarchical menu.
Nice, clean, efficient.

BTW, this would also work great with my other suggestion. List exact matches first, and then after that, matches excluding (parentheses text), followed by matches with same name, different artist, and then same artist, different name.

That would make work flow almost instantaneous, and smooth the most commonly occurring hiccups with singers out. I can't speak for anyone else, but my experience is that people who sing karaoke are hardly what you might call "decisive!" (They are also, unfortunately, not given to much advance notice, either.)

Karanight

Post by Karanight »

I like both these ideas, if only singers made it clear just what they wanna sing, but they don't, so this would speed up finding a track both from the history and those by a different artist.
I'm often complemented by a singer when they want to sing a different song (but only when the song is in the tonight list) because of the speed I change the song playing. With these suggestions the complements would increase and so would my kudos.

Am I right in thinking that the history (for example) would appear at the bottom of the drop down as a continuation.
Posted by Len of LensKaraoke fame

Web site at
http://lenskaraoke.com

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

That was my idea of how it would work.
Whether each part was included could be set by preferences.

First would be items from the tonight list, next items from the history list, finally items from favourites (or vice versa.)

In the album field, first would be other exact matches on Artist and Song Name, just as it is now, followed by matches excluding parentheses text (such as when the singer inadvertently picks the (w/Vocal) or (RV) version, or whatever) followed by matches of only Song Name, followed by matches on Artist Name. Each would be separated by a line separator.
Again, this could be modified via preference

(As a side note, why do people insist on putting the (w/Vocal) tag on the artist entry?!? This makes ABSOLUTELY no sense at all. In fact, it is so common, I would even suggest that removing template text from one field and adding different template text to another might be a GREAT new feature. What I mean by this is, e.g. search for say "Vocal". Select the right items from the results, and then remove "w-vocal" from end of Artist, and add "(w/Vocal) to end of Song Name.)
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

jfbiii

Post by jfbiii »

That is a really good idea. Song switching at the last minute goes on constantly.
From he to whom much liquor is given...much singing is expected.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Excellent ideas thanks