Small server change...

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
cstanyer

Small server change...

Post by cstanyer »

FIrstly I must say that the kJams server feature is nothing short of awesome.

I've been playing with it and think that the playlists would benefit from one small change. Instead of having to press fn+delete to remove a song from a playlist would it be possible to have a remove button in a similar way to 'add to favourites' ? I think my punters are not going to read through the help file to figure out how to remove a song they've accidentally added to their list.

Not sure how it looks on an iphone yet, as I haven't got one, but I imagine this is how most people will be accessing it in the pub. Can't wait to road test the facilities this Friday night.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Small server change...

Post by dave »

good idea, i've added it to the list

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I am already trapping the delete (i.e. backspace) key and passing it as Fn+del (i.e. delete) in my not-released, unofficial, definitely hacked version of mainscreen.html. I suppose I could post the code somewhere, but I have made LOTS of unofficial, probably not generically useful, changes and I am not sure how many of those you want.

Here is a partial list:
1) No Title "Singer:" since that wastes space, and pushes the search/go/help/logout buttons off the page with long singer names
2) Fixed layout so that playlists and photo fields properly align
3) Auto logout after two minutes (oh wait, I think nik folded that in already, at least in the prorogue version (r59))
4) rotating slideshow as background in the list box, so that dimmed pics from a folder (I specified) play behind the search results, playlist items, etc.)
5) preliminary code for a similar rotating Sponsor field where photo is now (the kJams mic&CD logo)
6) Breaking the browser back button (so users don't go back to the login page (since when they do, and then leave, the next singer is still logged in as the previos one, and enters songs as them. I think Nik has folded this in as well.)
7) preliminary support for new buttons to access a PDF file server-side that contains the song book (which then opens in a tab, or in my case, switches to the already opened tab)
8) Support for scrolling messages warning users about certain things.

and some other things I have forgotten.

I also have a new "New Singer" page, that forces the singer to use first and last name (or initial) so that you don't have lists of John, John 1, John 2, John 3, etc..

AND a new login page with a convoluted "new singer" button that is PURPOSELY unintuitive, so that when the user clicks it, it asks them to hit "cancel" if they are REALLY a new singer, and "OK" if they have ever sung with me before. (In other words, "OK" takes them back to the login page! This is because currently, people who do not yet have passwords do NOT get listed in the pop up, which results in them thinking they need to add themselves as a new singer. At this point, you then have multiple entries for the same person, which messes up your/their history and favourites lists. I have had some singers insist on hitting it every time they want to add a song, thus adding themselves up to ten times to the rotation! So I made it all but impossible to actually add yourself as a new singer UNLESS you have ACTUALLY read the alert box telling you not to! (And yet, still… .)

This is only a stopgap measure, and should not be necessary soon, since the new version with have type-ahead support, and will autocomplete ANY singers name from the current venue list, and if they do not yet have a password, instruct them to come to you to get one.

Please realize that if you DO add these features, that since the server files are included IN the kJams.app package, they will be destroyed/removed the next time you upgrade to an official version, so you will have to fold them back in yourself by hand.

Then again, some of these changes will be official in an upcoming release.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

... eventually....