Jump to first record after pressing key

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
Dan

Jump to first record after pressing key

Post by Dan »

First of all, kJams is a nice piece of software. It laks a few features, but it is promising.

I would like to see, just like in iTunes, that when i press a keyboard key, that in the library or even in a playlist, the selection jumps to the first record of the selected key. In fact, what i want is a version of iTunes that plays CDG's :-)
Keep up the good work.

dave
Site Admin

search by typing

Post by dave »

i think what you mean is, eg: if you press the j key, it would autoscroll to the first song that starts with the letter j? yes, i had that in there a while back, but then tried it on a 60,000 song library and it kindof bogged down, so i shut it off. at least I think that's what happened. I'll try turning it back on.
-dave

LasVegas

Re: Jump to first record after pressing key

Post by LasVegas »

Please Dave! Turn this back on in kJams 2!

Ideally, I would like it to work like Finder (and I assume, iTunes) that if I press a short sequence of keys, it will jump to the first item of the sorted column starting with those letters. IE: Currently sorted by Artist, type 'led' quickly; The song "All My Love" by Led Zeppelin is immediately selected.

Thanks

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i discovered that the problem is that i'm using "custom drawing" routines for all the sort columns: (kDataBrowserListViewTypeSelectColumn). this has the unfortunate side effect that it is not possible to use the built-in routines for "type to select" when you use custom drawing. i'd have to switch to using "plain text" drawing routines in order for this function to work, and many columns wouldn't work that way :(. plus it would not work at all on windows anyway, or i'd have to figure out how to re-implement it from scratch.

this will be much more possible when i have "fast search" done in version 2. (note: yes i'm working on it, no it won't be soon)

LasVegas

Post by LasVegas »

Thanks Dave.

Of course, It really wouldn't be neccessary on all columns. Just the important ones like; Song Name, Artist and Album. A quick search by column selected would suffice. Perhaps with a toggle to enable column search rather than prefixing the search?

Tony

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

sorry if i wasn't clear, what i'm trying to say is that it is just plain not possible to do it right now.

i "custom draw" the "song name" column because it has the Speaker icon for the currently playing song
the "album" and "artist" names have to draw a popup menu. those things can't be done without custom drawing. and if you turn on custom drawing, you turn off the ability to "Select by typing".

if i use my regular search routines, it might take ten seconds after you press a key for it to know what to scroll to, which is not worth it. only after i have completed "fast search" does it become possible for me to implement this feature.