Youka!

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
DeusExMachina

Youka!

Post by DeusExMachina »

I know, I know, no new features. But this is major!
And straight forward.
Youka (YouTube karaoke) is a cross-platform, open source app that allows you to search for any track for which a video exists on various platforms (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) ad then it automatically downloads the video file, finds the lyrics, strips thee vocals, then generates an mp4 with with original video with audio replaced by the instrumental track, and the lyrics somehow magically overlaid and synced!
Originally a website (now no longer online) it now exists as a downloadable app for Windows, MacOS and Linux that generates the video (mp4) for both an instrumental version and a vocals only version, along with a standard, synced .vtt plaintext subtitle lyric file.
And best of all, the code is open source and posted to gitHub!

I really think that either incorporating the code into kJams to create and play these tracks on the fly, or at least the ability to play the mp4/vtt file pair generate by a previous pass through the app would be a game changer, opening up crazy options for tracks that do not currently exist for playback!
And the latter option would only entail adding the ability to play the plaintext vtt files!

dave
Site Admin

Re: Youka!

Post by dave »

it's quite nifty but it is in too much of a legal gray area for me to feel comfortable with it?
I'll see. higher priority for me is just plain "ai-based vocal-stripping" which i have code for.
but neither of these things will come BEFORE the 64bit port :)

JasJ21

Post by JasJ21 »

Yes, it really sounds like it's tiptoeing on the line between legal and illegal... and I'm fairly sure like it's stepping on the wrong side of that line in some countries that are touchy about authors' rights.
In other words, implementing full compatibility with it into kJams would put kJams itself in danger of being banned... Which is a shame, as it's really a nifty tool (which is, of course, legal where I live. If it isn't in the country where the forum is hosted, I can remove that message!)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

right. kJams needs to stay absolutely above-board, beyond reproach.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Bring out your dead!
Just want to point out that I think all legal issues are actually dealt with in any venue that pays their required BMI/ASCAP fees (which should be all of them, right?) since you are technically using the original artist's copyrights, that are encompassed in the BMI/ASCAP fee. :)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i'll revisit this after i get 64bit stabilized, and have discontinued 32bit