Kjams 2 Song Database Vs. wtkjams KE

Is kJams missing a feature you need? Post it here! Note: if iTunes has it but kJams doesn't, it's a good bet kJams will have it, but that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But go ahead and request it anyway!
gearswap

Kjams 2 Song Database Vs. wtkjams KE

Post by gearswap »

Kjams 2 Song Database Vs. wtkjams KE Food for thought. Just wanted to bring this up and may be very useful for the Future of Kjams and Server based wtkjams KE.
I noticed from a competitor offering server based karaoke hosting software with remote server song submission (I don't want to mention the name because it's "Not very good" however the song searching from remote devices was extremely well thought of because it was fast!.

How they did it you ask?

1) Take the saved database file of your master song list imported to Karaoke library and (Copy/Paste) in database folder of the remote pc (digital Songbook kiosk)
2) When singers search for a song in the kios, The Queries are taken from the database stored on the kios and not the server comp.

Advantages you ask?
1) No worries for server lag / freezing
2) Multiple iPhone, iPad, iPod & PC connections can take a toll on a comp running server based features, This takes the worries away.

If anyone knows a way to implement this using Kjams 2 and wtkjams KE, Please share your insights and ideas.

I believe this will take Kjams to an even higher level in future and Closer to perfection. I know it's lonely at the top but hey, it's worth it.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Kjams 2 Song Database Vs. wtkjams KE

Post by dave »

I can't say anything yet but... stay tuned!

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

FWIW, server lag introduces almost zero noticeable latency on the client end, and if you have an i3 or higher, more independent search threads are supported, so they don't really effect the server.
But the big issue is db size. For a large db (50k tracks or more) the database file is many dozens of megabytes. IIRC the fast search db was hundreds of megabytes. Transferring updated versions to all connected clients every time you relaunch, as well as every time a new client comes online would be a bit of a nightmare.
Last edited by DeusExMachina on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

which is exactly why it's a "search" and not a "browse".

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

One thing you can do is export the db from kJams, import it into another application, then save as PDF. You can then open that pdf in Safari, or another application, in its own tab, thus giving you a browsable version of your library. (You'll have to repeat this procedure and make the file available to all machines each time you update your library, though.)

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:shock: