Migration to new machine question

Forum for discussing issues with the 64bit version of kJams
billshafer1

Migration to new machine question

Post by billshafer1 »

I fear I need to replace my current MacBook Pro laptop that's 100% dedicated to music gigs: MacBookPro14,3 (15" 2017 - 3.1Ghz i7, 16GB/1TB) running Mojave 10.14.6. It's becoming unstable and I suspect it may be a mobo about to go. My non-gig laptop is a MacBookPro16,1 (16" 2019 - 2.3Ghz i9, 16GB/1TB) running Catalina 10.15.7. I know... :-( Before I start exploring crazy options like used laptops or (God forbid) having to move to a different platform, I wanted to see about getting the Alpha up & running on the Catalina machine.

I've followed the instructions (https://karaoke.kjams.com/wiki/Cloning) for copying kJams to another machine - including copying the kJams folders in both /Music and /Preferences into their respective spots on my Catalina machine. I've made a duplicate copy of my entire music library on an external USB3.1 SSD (naming the disk the same as the disk where the files reside on my Mojave machine). I've downloaded & installed the Alpha on the Catalina machine, but have not booted it up yet.

Question: When I boot up kJams Alpha on the Catalina machine, what will happen to the validation/authentication of the version still on my Mojave machine? Will booting the Alpha on Catalina machine now unregister/deactivate the version on Mojave machine? I don't want to give the Alpha a try on the Catalina machine, only to discover that it's not as stable as I need, and now I'm unable to go back to my Mojave machine.

billshafer1

Re: Migration to new machine question

Post by billshafer1 »

UPDATE: After doing some additional research, I discovered a couple things that help to answer my own question (guess I should have thought just a bit longer before posting):
1. According to the EULA, I'm allowed authorization on 2 machines. YAY!
2. I can always de-authorize the app on one machine as an added safety measure.

dave
Site Admin

Re: Migration to new machine question

Post by dave »

both correct!

sorry i have been away a bit