WtkJams - no free version anymore?

All about the iOS / Android / Web / Other apps that can be used with kJams! Questions, bug reports, feature requests!
DaveT

WtkJams - no free version anymore?

Post by DaveT »

At the weekend i decided to go back to using wtkjams after it appeared that the force closing issue had been fixed. I was skeptical to use it after the disastrous gig when it started doing it (it made me look very silly and unprofessional when it failed spectacularly not just for me but all my customers. Same venue and announced that we were now back up and running etc only to be met with lots of complaints that they had to "buy" the supposed free software. What has happened? it appears the free lite version is only available on the USA apps store, whereas in the uk its £4.99...... Why? So once again i have been left feeling very silly and unprofessional due to complaints by this app.

Dave

dave
Site Admin

Re: WtkJams - no free version anymore?

Post by dave »

Unfortunately wtkJams is created by a third party. If i owned it, yes it'd be free. I wish i had time to develop one myself, but currently i do not :(

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Thanks Dave -- yeah it a key piece of the software, and is currently free in USA, but chargeable in the UK -- thats the part i cannot get my head around as to why we are being charged for it here..... Is there any alternative that you know of that i can recommend to the customers that won't cost them?

Thanks

Dave T

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

the free alternative is to set up a kiosk computer in the corner (with saran-wrap over the keyboard!)
or buy a few cheapo android tablets to hand out in exchange for car keys or driver's licenses

if i knew of a free alternative for tablets / phones, it would be plastered all over the web site and in kJams itself. sorry :(

djunod

Post by djunod »

There is no longer a free version in the US either.

If you really want to provide your user with a free solution (to them), then, as Dave says, setup a kiosk for them to use. Either an iPad or an Android tablet.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

You can also just use the IP address, or use the QR ShowScreen, to allow people to access the server page on their devices. I took WAY too long (because I suck at coding) tweaking some of the server pages to work directly on mobile.
There are a few features that don't work right, but for basic search and song submission, they work fine.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

8)