VLC

All about the iOS / Android / Web / Other apps that can be used with kJams! Questions, bug reports, feature requests!
djunod

VLC

Post by djunod »

dave
Site Admin

Re: VLC

Post by dave »

yes but much easier is i recommend iDisplay, which turns your iPad into a 2nd video monitor

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

My AppleScript which uses VLC to add a third Video Window to kJams, without ShowScreens, so you can use it to time them, plus serves as a crash safe player, immediately jumping into fullscreen when it senses kJams has crashed, is 90% of the way done. It would be 100% if not for some clear bugs and inconsistencies in VLC, that the powers that be in their forums have steadfastly (and somewhat rudely, I must say) refused to admit exist, let alone address. As such, I had to create ridiculous workarounds, and even then it still has odd errors, but works most of the time. I have left development on hold to get a breather from the frustrations, but may pick it back up again soon, to finish the last 10%.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

not related to ipad, but i feel lazy today

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

And the non sequitur award goes to….

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i thought the question was about how to view the kJams Video window on an iPad.
so i recommended iDisplays

however, you CAN use VNC on the iPad to get a similar result.

now i see they asked about VLC, not VNC, which is not about kJams at all, but about just playing videos on the iPad.

so yes, VLC can play videos, but it's not related to kJams at all.

then your comment was about using VLC as a backup to kJams Video window running on the computer. which, even tho i didn't understand what the user was asking at first, STILL seems to have nothing to do with their question? :D

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Oh, well, you see, the main purpose of my script is to use VLC to provide a THIRD video window, that syncs to kJams, but does not show the ShowScreens, so you can reference it when using them, so as not to let the ShowScreen stay up once the lyrics start again.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

sure, yes, good stuff, but i still think this has nothing to do with the poser's original question.

djunod

Post by djunod »

I am a poser.

Just curious if we could use the VLC code as a base for displaying kJams video on other smart devices.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Well, the thing is, the reason VLC got the "L" in its name is that it was built to stream content over a LAN. To just send a file to a remote client (the iOS device) from the central server (the machine running kJams) and then play that file is trivial, so it could be done in that way. So assuming that the VLC iOS client has the same codecs, and the same remote interface, my script could be used to send content to an iOS remote to be played on that device. The trick would just be syncing the two.
Granted, Dave was probably hoping more for a network stream of the video Window.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

really, the solution to all that is iDisplay

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I could be wrong, but I was of the belief that Dave2 was talking about using the VLC code in his own application, to display kJams video for his own purposes, like, for instance, the oft requested ability of iJams (now wtkJams) clients to view the video Window content.
So not for the host, but for the client users.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

okay, Dave2, is that what you meant? you want kJams to embed the ability to broadcast the video window?

djunod

Post by djunod »

Was wondering if VLC (the source code base, not some pre-made utility) could be used to playback the kJams karaoke video streams... whether it was on the client's device or a tablet device at the singer's microphone. Yes, would involve streaming out the video information.

You can call Mr Cotter, Dave and you can call me David.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

okay, well, i suppose it would be *possible* to work the VLC server code into kJams, but, well, probably not soon.