wtkJams 1.0.6 Android

All about the iOS / Android / Web / Other apps that can be used with kJams! Questions, bug reports, feature requests!
djunod

wtkJams 1.0.6 Android

Post by djunod »

I'm making good positive progress on the Android version of wtkJams. Hopefully have something ready before the end of August .

One of things that has held me back from working on it before has been issues with Bonjour. After trying to get JmDNS working and having some success and a lot of failures, I started writing my own mDNS stack. So far it is working great. The true test will be seeing if it will actually work in the torture zone tomorrow evening... a local venue that is notorious for having bad Wifi and Bonjour issues.

Most parts of wtkJams iOS and Android are a common code base and I'm working on making even more of it come from a common core across platforms. Hopefully leading to a Windows Phone 7/8 version by the end of September or October.

dave
Site Admin

Re: wtkJams 1.0.6 Android

Post by dave »

cheers!

djunod

Post by djunod »

Looking like wtkJams 1.0.7 Android (first version) will be out around the middle of September.

This will be a common code base as the iOS version, so will start with feature parity. There are many things that can only be done with Android that over time it will end up having...

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

like what?

djunod

Post by djunod »

One of the first things will be a built-in barcode/qrcode reader for logging into the network & attaching to kJams. It's always annoying to try to negotiate the password for secure networks. They usually use something that is hard to remember.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

mmm, and i guess iOS won't let you programatically log onto a password protected Wifi network?

djunod

Post by djunod »

no, they don't.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

garf. go jailbreak!

Kjeph2

Post by Kjeph2 »

updates? :)

djunod

Post by djunod »

I have had a change in priorities lately... I got a 30 day notification from Apple that I need to submit my "Where's the Karaoke?" app by December 3rd or I lose the name. So, my priority right now is that. The good thing about that is I am writing a new framework that works on both iOS and Android, so what I'm writing now works on both. Once I submit WTK, I'll get back to wtkJams.

I'll post screenshots on Facebook soon for both.

djunod

Post by djunod »

Working on wtkJams for Android now. So far working pretty good. Hopefully can do a real test on Friday or Saturday this week of the whole functionality (search, favorites, tonight, history).

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

YAY!

djunod

Post by djunod »

Still plagued with discovery (like Bonjour) related issues, so have switched gears to work on the next iOS version.

I did come up with a way of implementing discovery that would work for Android, but it does require a least one person to have discovered the venue.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

i'm going to suggest that the Android version is a much much higher priority than the iOS version. Since the iOS one works good enough for now, and the Android one doesn't exist. People aren't clamoring for a new iOS update, but they ARE for the Android version. Please, consider focusing on the Android version.

MaxKnots

Post by MaxKnots »

Yes, thank you for the app that works beautifully on my Ipad and friends iphone.
Now I would love to have one that works on mine and everybody else's android phone.