wtkJams Classic

All about the iOS / Android / Web / Other apps that can be used with kJams! Questions, bug reports, feature requests!
djunod

wtkJams Classic

Post by djunod »

We are getting ready to put up a free version of wtkJams on the Apple App Store as wtkJams Classic. Before doing so, we would like to add a few beta testers. If you are eager and have time to actually run through it and respond with your experience, please send me a PM with your e-mail address so that I can add you to TestFlight.
Last edited by djunod on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

rmanke

Re: wtkJams Classic

Post by rmanke »

I'm interested in testing it. Thanks, Dave!

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

I can give it a fair go. I often lend out my iPhone, so I can hammer it pretty hard and relentlessly.
Any luck with the Android version? I get asked a lot, and I just got 5 10" tablets.

rmanke

Post by rmanke »

I'd like to point out that I think the app is awesome! Dave did a lot of work, and is listening to, and considering, all feedback.

The app works quite well, although nothing is perfect, and I am sure over time with proper support from everyone it can evolve into an amazing application.

Please everyone take time to check it out and use it!

djunod

Post by djunod »

I can put your songbook online so that people with phones other then iPhone can access it. The mobile version supports Android, Blackberry, iOS, Windows Phone 7 and other major new smart phones.

This is the main entrance (try it with a tablet or other mobile device, though it does work with a computer browser too of course):
http://www.wtkapp.com/wtk/

For each KJ, you can get in by something like this (that way the user isn't confused by selecting database, it's automatically chosen):
http://www.wtkapp.com/wtk/bluenotejam/

(I'm actually going to change this to be http://bluenotejam.wtkapp.com to make it even easier).

In order to add your songbook, first send me your song list:

* Bring up kJams.
* Select Library from the main window
* From the menu, select File->Export->Entire Playlist: CSV
* Send me that Library.csv

Also, I need the following information:

* Alias: (a simple name for accessing the online songbook).
* Show Name:
* KJ Name:
* Phone:
* E-mail:
* Homepage:
* Yelp:
* Facebook Page:

Over time, I'll be adding more features, making it prettier, allow you to provide a theme & graphic, etc.

So, send it to my e-mail that is here on file (click the e-mail icon).

Thanks,

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Very cool, especially for those without access to OSX/iOS.
For those people who are really stuck on the old work flow with books, or those that have no idea what they want to sing, and just want some inspiration, might I suggest the following:
I have a database set up whereby people can access from the web, with tabs across the top for the 26 letters plus a numbers tab and special chars (!,¿,., etc.). People can click on the tabs and get the listing for that alphanumeric. This way, people can browse in a manner very similar to how they look through books. I even made a few versions with animated flip books, but they proved to be cumbersome to update, and I lost interest.
Since the ability to get the song book was not built in to kJams, I exported to CSV and made a file local to each machine. Doing it remotely, of course, would be far superior.
Anyway, I suspect that making a similar implementation might be the last nail in the coffin for books for many people, a goal I am guessing you share with me.

djunod

Post by djunod »

So send me that Library.csv 8)

rmanke

Post by rmanke »

Awesome! I've been meaning to suggest this as a feature! You read our minds!

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Will do.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Have done.

djunod

Post by djunod »

Here it is:

http://wtkapp.com/wtk/deusexmachina/

It uses jQuery Mobile to work on any mobile device, such as Android, Blackberry, iPhone, Windows Phone 7, etc. Give it a shot with your Android tablet browser.

The UI will grow over time to match what I had working on Android.

I gave up on the Android java version because of issues with Bonjour on the different devices. At some point I may revisit it.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

and by the way you CAN download the entire Library playlist by entering the search string "\*" (no quotes)

djunod

Post by djunod »

Yes.

My first attempt at a live venue failed miserably because the KJ had 59,436 songs.

It worked great for my 800+ songs.

I will revisit that at some point.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

hence my limiting results lists to 200 items.

or: what exactly was the fail?

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Yeah, I went over that with Dave a year or so back. mDNS seems to be the Black Plague over at Google. The code is embedded in Chrome as part of Apple's WebKit, but even after over five years of pleas from the dev community, Google still has made zero attempt to give it a UI, so there is no accessing it, and only a limited and hokey API. The situation is even worse in Android. So I gave up too.
Instead, I was working on just webapp-ing the standard server page, and reworking the main page to deal with some dumbnesses in mobile WebKit. (If the returned contents of a div overflow that div, the desktop browsers will automatically give it a scroll bar, but mobile WebKit will not. I have gotten it to work by just making a variable sized div, and thus increasing page size, since WebKit DOES then give scroll bars, but I am unsatisfied with the current UI where the singer is alerted to the fact that a song has been successfully added by a text alert at the bottom of the window. If the page is too big to see its entire contents, this message can easily be off the page. I could have just make it a dialogue, but that gives my hives. So far, every UI idea I have I almost immediately reject, for various reasons, so I have left it alone for a while.)
One kludge solution for Android, of course, would be to just get the app working, and then have the user just input the numeric IP, bypassing mDNS entirely. Crappy temporary workaround, but at least you would be able to get something out there.

As to the current web database. Thanks a lot for that. I'll give you the rest of the info via a reply to your e-mail message. Any way to easily add alphanumeric tabs, so the user can browse each alphabetic subsection, like a book? This was my most frequent requests from the Luddites who fear the computers (boo) and those who did not have song ideas, but wanted a book to flip through to serve as inspiration (a reasonable thought, which is why I made my version of a local page. Even made an animated flip book with a few entries using pdf to flipbook software).