wtkJams Classic

All about the iOS / Android / Web / Other apps that can be used with kJams! Questions, bug reports, feature requests!
djunod

Re: wtkJams Classic

Post by djunod »

Yes, will figure out something... have some ideas.

I also have a field in the master database for similar artist that I'll be using with the web app too (and future versions of wtkJams). That's been useful for offering suggestions.

Every now and then I do mess around with the Android version. I just brought up one of my Samsung Nexus II's to run it. It took about 3 minutes before it finally discovered things on Bonjour.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Well, for production, KJ/not singer use, just having it available so one can manually enter IP address would be great for Android. Even singers might be willing to deal with that for the time being, just to get the App working.
I don't suppose there is regex support for the queries? :)
I could then possibly just write a custom front end that reproduced your page, but have the letter tabs trigger a search for "begins with ___"

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

djunod

Post by djunod »

DeusExMachina wrote:I can give it a fair go. I often lend out my iPhone, so I can hammer it pretty hard and relentlessly.
Any luck with the Android version? I get asked a lot, and I just got 5 10" tablets.
Which tablet did you get? I could do a special version... I have the code, it works, would wrap it into a new project that just does wtkJams KE for Android. wtkJams KE is wtkJams Kiosk Edition.

djunod

Post by djunod »

I have it working on a couple of devices, it is just very flaky though. Definitely can't release a product with it. It's very frustrating.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:(

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

If it is anything like the other implementations of network service discovery on Android, then it is buggy, unpredictable, and SLOW. Also, DNS-SD is not quite the same as mDNS, compatible, but not dependent on, as they would say, so those differences would have to be taken into account.
There is also jmDNS:
http://jmdns.sourceforge.net/
and mDNSResponder.
But I think the issues are really Android specific, as these work fairly well on other platforms.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

:mrgreen:

rmanke

Post by rmanke »

Is there a way to present a shorter song book list to clients? It would probably require us to add a field comment in kJams or something that as an inclusion/exclusion field.

We maintain two lists of songs, one in kJams (large list of 50k+ songs), and one in the song book (23k+ songs) because there are a number of duplicates/versions of songs and we only want the best songs in the song book, or being requested by clients. Also, we sometimes want several versions of a song because one's a duet and the other isn't etc.

Alternatively, we could provide a downloadable song list like the one used in this mobile web version, and it would use that for searching instead of the one in kJams... a positive side effect being that people won't have to wait for kJams to query the song list either.

I am a bit worried about what happens when we have several people searching the song list, along with the host, in kJams, and it causing hickups and general slowness for the host. Searching is painfully slow as it is.

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

The easy solution is to first create a playlist with duplicates removed (instructions on site) then export as CSV. Open in either text edit or a spreadsheet app and save as pdf.
Now you can copy that pdf locally and open in either a webkit browser (Safari, Chrome, etc.) or in an app like Preview.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

currently there is no way to exclude songs from a search. the current implementation would not allow it to be fast at all. it could only be implemented after i get "fast searching" going.

if you find cases where the audio or video stutter when doing a search or several at once, let me know

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

Dave:
As far as I know, the Windows version still suffers from audio stuttering on our machine whenever a library search is done. I will install latest rev and check tonight sometime.

rmanke

Post by rmanke »

I haven't had the sound stutter during a search yet, but I have had the video not appear until 30 seconds after the song starts playing... :(

DeusExMachina

Post by DeusExMachina »

That too, though only if I have a rotation or show screen up. I get around it by first toggling the screen before playing the track.

djunod

Post by djunod »

If you could add another field Quality (0 for not rated, 1 low quality - 5 high quality) and export that with the CSV WTK, then I can sort on that field. I do that now for one of the local KJ's. I only show the highest quality entry for each song.